Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the situation. I leave from work, truck fires up fine and runs for probably 10 miles. I'm driving down the road and the engine slowly looses power, over a 1/4 miles it just slowly dies. SES comes on and I coast into a gas station.

I knew I was in trouble so I immediately started trying to diagnos the problem. Pulled the juice off to eliminate that variable. Tried starting. Fired up and ran for 10 seconds or so then slowly died. Tried re-priming the flter. Got 2 pumps and some foamy fuel before the plunger went down and stayed down

Changed the filter, not fun when it's 0 degrees F and snowing.

Could not get the filter to reprime. Plunger would cycle but no fuel after 50-60 cycles. Normally only takes 10 or so after filter change.

Truck got towed to dealer, diesel tech seemed pretty knowledgeable but we will see.

I'm pissed because I take precautions against gelling. I use a generous dose of Howes diesel treat every tank. Just filled up the night before from a place that moves a huge amount of fuel for over the road guys. Tank never gets below half to avoid condensation.

Yes it was cold but not THAT cold.

I'm stumped.....I guess we will see what the shop has to say

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dosen't sound like it. You don't believe you did either or you wouldn't have said it wasn't that cold.
Sounds like it may have been a plugged fuel line, maybe.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I also doubt it gelled due to winterized fuel .... To bad you did have a code reader .... When was the last time you changed the filter prior ??

Mac

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
My buddy bought one of my 02 D/A trucks and got fuel at the local small truck stop.

He made it about 20 miles before truck quit.

It would barely run but got it hauled to dealer and they ended up cleaning tank and blow out fuel lines the crap was so bad.

We buy a fair amount of fuel there too.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the verdict is in.

The local dealer took it in and let it set for a few hours and thaw. Tech did standard priming routine and he said "yellow jello" came out.

Let sit awhile longer and filled the nearly empty filter with fresh fuel-reprimed and it fired right up. I discussed situation with tech and we decided that must be a bad load of fuel.

Added large amount of fuel treatment, and installed new filter. Will run this tank and change filter again.

Well it sat overnight @ -15F, it was plugged in, and it ran this morning fine.

This just shows that even the high turnover fuel stops can have quality problems.

The day after I gelled I was back at that same station (with the girlfriends jeep) getting gas, I saw a powerstroke at the same pump I had used, with a 6 horse trailer in tow. I walked over and warned the driver to find fuel elsewhere, I figure this place has a problem. That was my good deed for the day, actually counts twice because it was a Ford driver!

Oh buy the way, having a tech change a filter(that was already in the back seat) and add $4.00 worth of furl treatment costs $150

I was so glad that it wasn't more serious that it didn't hit me until I was home.

$150 just because I got 1 bad load of fuel. Well that beats 6 grand for injectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts