Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost track of the thread where DMaxDave was getting a filter from Racor that was a direct OEM replacement, but had a better micron rating than the OEM. Racor told him that they made 2 filters..the regular OEM, and this upgraded filter. Both would work on the stock filter head. Did he ever get the filter?

·
Registered
122 Posts
No word yet, but his thread is in the "no fix for GM injectors....." I too am waiting for the reply

Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got the new Racor filter and there is definatly a difference in the one just purchased from dealership and the one I just recieved, there is a very significant weight difference about 2-3 oz I am weighing it on a perfect set of scales in about 2 hours got to babby sit for a little bit, Prbably going to let someone cut em open, Be back after bit, its about 5pm cst.O by the way will keep people wondering which one is heavyiest , David

·
Registered
74 Posts
How about a part number?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, you're keeping us in suspense. Please give us some details, and possibly a photo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well here is what I know so far. I have a GM filter part#97256734 that is suppose to be a new revised part#. I have a Racor filter that is suppose to be differnt than OEM. It is different in some ways than others Racors Ive seen, no writting on the can except for just Parker filtration stamped on the side, not interceptor, or intallation instructions like others. It says Part#- and but there is none and shipping invoice does not give part# either.The Racor weighs .56 oz more exactly. Cant tell a lot looking inside with magnifier and Mag light, but ellement is darker in The Racor, will be cutting appart, Till I find out more . David

·
Registered
909 Posts
If I was a betting man I'd say it's the same design with a few cost saving ideas built-in. As we all can imagine, GM forces suppliers to reduce prices from year to year, and in stark contrast, suppliers need to make more profit. The only equitable solution is for the supplier to implement cost savings ideas.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I too want to know about this filter, if this turns out to be A true 2 micron filter I want to get some.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The statement " GM forces suppliers to reduce prices from year to year." is exactly correct. GM will send out a blanket letter asking suppliers for a 5% price reduction and details of how that is going to be achieved... It is rather doubtful that fuel filter performance increases are going to follow...
George Morrison

1 - 9 of 9 Posts