Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first Duramax I have owned and the first truck with the DIC. I now have 3k miles on the truck but the DIC shows the oil at 65%. Should I change it when I get close to 10% or do it now. I've always changed the oil in my Powerstroke at 3k. Thanks, Cory.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
If the truck is brand new I would change the oil now at 3k. After that I would probably change it at 5k or maybe a bit more depending on your driving habits. I rarely see 50% on my DIC.

Everyone has a different theory on how ofter you should change your oil but most agree you should do 1 or 2 early oil changes. Most also agree that 5k is plenty often. If you let the DIC run it's course you will see probably close to 10k intervals.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
This is the first Duramax I have owned and the first truck with the DIC. I now have 3k miles on the truck but the DIC shows the oil at 65%. Should I change it when I get close to 10% or do it now. I've always changed the oil in my Powerstroke at 3k. Thanks, Cory.
It's really what makes you comfortable. Some members on this site including myself change the oil at 5k. IMO, 3k oil changes are too soon, but do what makes you comfortable. As far as the DIC, I'm nearing the 5k mark and my DIC shows somewhere around 45%, I've towed my trailer several times since the last oil change.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I dumped mine @ 3000 for the first time and then every 8-10k there after. Why use more oil and send more money overseas if you do not have to. I am planning to go with a bypass and synthetic and go extended drain intervals then.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Another factor is whether the miles driven are mostly highway or around town, towing or not, etc. If your driving remains much the same, you might want to send a sample to a lab and have it analyzed which will give you a very good idea if you're changing it early or late. Most of my driving is long distance, little traffic, and I let it go to around 7k to 8k and the reports come back good. For my kind of driving I'm going to try letting it go a bit longer next time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My dealer does mine for free every 5000 and the service manager says that is what his rep says is about right. Do whatever your conscience says to do, you are the only one who has to live with the consequences no matter what.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Initial at 3000, there after I run a lot of Highway miles, I do it when the DIC sais to. If I ever over heated it I would do it right away as that tends to break down oil faster than anything.

On my old F*rd van (7.3) It was done between 8-10,000. It has 350,000 on it and still runs strong. Just wish the nickle and dime stuff weren't making it unreliable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I usually go by the DIC myself, I do just about all highway miles though, If your hard off the line, pulling, or a ton of stop and go I'd do it every 5000 or so

·
Registered
15 Posts
The OLM is actually quite complex..

GM's oil life monitor has been discussed quite a bit at www.bobistheoilguy.com. It's a neat website - check it out if you desire. I have found out that the OLM is quite a high tech piece - very complex algorythm is used to decide when to change the oil - it's not just based on miles. Temperature, RPM's, short trips etc. all figure in to how long your oil gets to stay in your engine. Many bitog members do oil analysis on the olm intervals with very satisfactory results. Currently I am driving a lowly 4.3 V6, changing the oil on the olm's timing and the oil is in good shape coming out. After break in I believe that the OLM is a good service advisor! Cheers all!

·
Registered
511 Posts
GM's oil life monitor has been discussed quite a bit at www.bobistheoilguy.com. It's a neat website - check it out if you desire. I have found out that the OLM is quite a high tech piece - very complex algorythm is used to decide when to change the oil - it's not just based on miles. Temperature, RPM's, short trips etc. all figure in to how long your oil gets to stay in your engine. Many bitog members do oil analysis on the olm intervals with very satisfactory results. Currently I am driving a lowly 4.3 V6, changing the oil on the olm's timing and the oil is in good shape coming out. After break in I believe that the OLM is a good service advisor! Cheers all!
:welcome2: nickmascio. Always nice having another BITOG member dropping in at the "Place". Changing a good HDEO like Delo or Delvac every 3-5,000 miles is a complete waste of money (unless you're doing something really crazy with your truck). I'll bet there are very few people who do regular oil analysis on a broken-in Duramax that change their oil that soon. Trust the OLM. It's a good system, & I've got a stack of UOAs from my old LB7 to prove it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have done oil analysis on my LB7 a few times and I am very impressed with the Delvac 1 oil. I went 5k miles and changed the filter and topped it off. That analysis came back good, then at 10k miles I did the same thing and the #'s didn't change but only a small amount and at 15K miles I changed the oil and filter and I sent in another analysis and it too came back very good. So, now that I just bought my new LBZ, I plan on driving it until 3k miles and changing it. Then at 7500 miles I will change over to Mobile Delvac 1 and drive it for 7500 miles, changed the filter and go another 7500 miles and then change the oil.

Jeff

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, thanks for all the input. My truck has a trailer behind it about 80% of the time and a lot of traffic. The mobil Delvac. Where can you find that stuff at? I'm going to change it now, then 3k later, and extend it out to 7500.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Probably find it at truck stops. Make sure you get Delvac-1, not straight Delvac.
D-1 is synthetic, very similar to M1 Truck & SUV 5w40. Straight Delvac is a conventional 15w40 dino motor oil.

Still good stuff, but not synthetic.

If you are in a warmer climate and are nervous of running 5w40 in the summer, Amsoil and a couple of other blenders make 15w40 synthetics.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
My 01 Duramax got a oil change at 1000 on the odmeter, 5000, on the odometer and the 10,000 on the odemeter. I then swithced to a 100% synthetic diesel oil. Oil changes were 10,000 miles apart after that. However the filter was changed every 5000 miles. I had a analisis done on the oil every other change. It always came back the oils was still good to use.

The 05 duramax I have followed the same routine as I did with the 01.

I plan to do the same with the 06.

The biggest thing that hurts oil is contaminates. If you keep the oil very clean it will last a very long time. The next big thing to cause oil to fail is excessive heat.

Oil companies push for the 3000 mile oil change. This is so they can sell more oil. Most car comanies now reccomend a 7500 to 10,000. Oil co's still push 3000. I do not believe a car co would recommend 10,000 mile changes if it was bad when the have a 100,000 mile power train warrenty.

Trucking co's change at 100,000 mile intervals or more.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Oil analysis

Where can you get these done?

When I was in active Army, that was how they determined when to change the oil.

I would like to check the DIC once.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I do not believe a car co would recommend 10,000 mile changes if it was bad when the have a 100,000 mile power train warrenty.
Keep in mind that automakers are balancing durability with "cost of ownership" That was the whole reason behind the development of platinum plugs and Dexcool. Do you really think GM had our best interests in mind in developing a 100,000mi coolant? No, but it's $100 less that your vehicle costs to maintain during the first 36,000 miles.
Same for plugs... platinum plugs cost 4 times as much, but you only change them 1/4th as often, net cost is the same, but you are not changing the plugs and coolant during the first five years of ownership.
"Cost of ownership for 5 years" on the JD Power surveys is now down to 15 oil changes, a set of tires or two, and MAYBE a set of brakes.

OTOH, they aren't going to recommend a service interval that is going to cut the life of that engine to the point that it starts to dig into the first 5 years for higher-mileage drivers like many of us are.
7,500? Ya... that's fine. 10k? I wouldn't do it without synthetic.
Trucking co's change at 100,000 mile intervals or more.
Keep in mind that OTR trucks have HUGE oil capacities, so you have a larger heat reservoir, as well as a much larger additive package reserve. Just as our trucks have 10 quarts and will analyze better than a Vette at 10k, if we doubled that capacity, we would probably be able to triple our change intervals.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
I agree the manufactures are doing a blancing act for cost of ownership. But Platnium tip plugs were first brought about for performane gaines, bigger plug gap for a longer (length, not time) spark. This is for better emmisions and performance. I side benifit is longer life. That is also the very reason for Iridium plugs. I know the company I work for makes spark plugs both OEM and aftermarket

Brakes have lasted over 100,000 miles on the last 3 trucks I have owned and my wifes Xterra.

Oil capacity does affect oil life. However contamination and heat are the big problems. Oil filtration has improved significantly over the past 30 years. Also the quality of the oil and the additives put in the oil have improved.

The wifes Xterra holds only 3.5 quarts of oil with filter. Oil analisis has shown that the oil is still good after 10,000 miles. The oil filter is changed at 5000 miles. It is a good wix filter, not the el chepo fram or worse.

I use a company called Parama to do my oil analisis. It is 10 dollars for a sample bottle, mailing, testing and the return results. While I was active Navy I had our test lab do it.

Good filtration and good temperature control are the key to long life of oil. Do not let an oil get beyond it acceptable heat range. I use synthetic in everything. Main reason is it is proven to be able to handle much higher oil temperatures with out breaking down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts