Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with the dic computer. How long typically does the computer show the oil is good for? I don't have the computer, and have just done the change every 5000 km.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you run in an ideal condition, It will signal an oilchange at 10k. Mine right now with 6100 on the oil is showing ~45% life left. I am planning on changing at 7500 (unless I test it first and find it is fine for 10k). Why waste perfectly good oil? Truckers do it all the time...

Trust me, I used to be in the 3k change interval category in the past. Modern science is changing the way I was brought up.

Nass.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Recently towed a 11,000lb 5th wheel from Ontario to Arizona and back, a total of just shy of 8000 miles (with side trips). Had the oil changed before we left Ontario and had it changed again in Benson AZ after covering about 3,500 miles. At this point, the DIC was showing 60%.

Our return trip was longer and we drove much harder, in fact towing at between 70-75 mph on the interstate. By the time we got back home, the DIC was showing 9% (the dealer in Benson forgot to reset it). I reckon that I could easily achieve 10,000 miles between oil changes if I went by the DIC.

Incidently, we averaged 11.9 mp(US)g when towing and 21 mp(US)g solo.

·
Registered
386 Posts
3100 miles since first oil change, mixed driving including about 500 miles of towing. DIC shows 78%

BillEdited by: Redapple

·
Banned
394 Posts
mine is rt at 10k b4 it tells ya to change it

·
Registered
143 Posts
Going about 16K kms or 10K miles on mine beteen changes. Must be ideal driving nassdmax? Dealer suggested that was a good max to aim for between changes.

Welcome back railbuff. Lived and worked in "The County" from '73-'83. Loved it! Hope to get your way soon to visit old aquiantances. Have Bloomfield friends stopping in here on WE enroute back from Mesa.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am assuming that this percentage thing is a post '02 option. Mine will tell me to change my oil but I don't know what it is based on. I change my oil every 10,000 Km and if I don't reset the computer, it will tell me I need to change my oil within a 1000 Km from when I change it. I haven't seen this percentage anywhere - time to leaf through the manual.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Mine seems to be right around 10-11,000 miles, however, I just haven't been able to bring myself to leave the oil in longer than 5,000 miles. Planning on either switching to synthetic and following the OLM, or taking Delo 400 out to 10k and having it analized to see if it can actually make it there without doing damage to the motor.

Bob

·
Registered
144 Posts
On one cycle it asked for a change at around 7,100 miles. The others have been in the 9-10,000 mile range. I work my truck pretty hard, pulling a 6-ton trailer much of the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I will have to extend my oil change interval based on all the info. I have always done 5000 km changes out of habit. I think I will be cautious and go to 7500 km. Has anyone had there oil tested at say 10000 miles?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I use the hour meter. On standard oil I'll change it every 100 to 200 hours and with the syn I'll change it 200-400 hours. Actually, I am running syn and have yet to exceed 200 hour drain....
maybe I'll stretch this change to 250 or so.

Burner---------->

·
Registered
169 Posts
how do you find the hrs on an '02???? I have changed mine at 7500 for the dino and 12K for the Syn on my 4th change now. hope to add my dual filter setup and go back to either rotella or mobil t/s when I change again in 7500.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cool Thanx.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts