Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A weird gremlin has shown up.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
Hypertech programmer, AFE cold air intake, otherwise stock.

My DIC (Driver Information Center) started switching languages on me, and resetting trip (personal), then managed to turn on the business trip (don't use it and it was set to off). The buttons in my steering wheel had half the lights out, and one was sticky from a Coca cola spill so I replaced them all. Seemed to work for a bit, then back to it. Not sure what is going on. Anyone else seen this and solved it?

My working assumptions:

1. Bad wire from one of the switches (I have already had to do a repair for I believe the cruise control...break in the wire).
2. ECM? I don't know where this lives as far as modules...BCM instead?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
Individually load test each battery.
A bad battery cell can create strange electrical gremlins to appear

· Premium Member
18,487 Posts
IF the buttons are ALL new, then the reset/ scroll button in the cluster is sticking.
It ain't the batteries. Has it switched to French yet?

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IF the buttons are ALL new, then the reset/ scroll button in the cluster is sticking.
It ain't the batteries. Has it switched to French yet?
Yep, all replaced (Doorman parts). To verify, you are referring to the menu/selection buttons on lower right of the steering wheel? I think that one was easy to remove, so I may be able to disconnect for a few days to see if stops happening. Interestingly enough, those buttons (replaced now) were affected by the coke spill

Yep, French. Wish I knew French.

· Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Pretend you don't have steering wheel controls. Now, how would you reset the trip odometer? That's the button to which I refer.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretend you don't have steering wheel controls. Now, how would you reset the trip odometer? That's the button to which I refer.

:LOL::ROFLMAO:. Ya know, I have never noticed that button to be honest. That is too frickin' funny.

The problem seems to have resolved itself through no intentional direct intervention of my own. This particular problem took a back seat while I replaced my injectors (SAC00). Once that job was complete, this issue seems to have gone away. I am guessing an issue with one of the ECM connectors perhaps (my assumption that is where the function and data is stored) the act of unplugging and plugging back in seated a conductor correctly. Time will tell.....

· Registered
239 Posts
I daily drive a 2003 6.0lL gasser fleet truck (former US Forest Service). No steering controls, Mine switches languages all the time. It will also zero out the tripometers. This only happens on start up. I had a 9 year old Optima red top on it so I replace it, even though it did not seem, or test, bad - did not help. I do beleive it is worse when I start it with the blower fan on high. This makes me think it is a low voltage condition on a specific circuit while starting. A few months ago, it went into a limp mode while driving at highway speed. Unfortunately, the DIC was in French, so the code it showed did not make sense to me . Fortunately, a freind gave me a EFI handheld from a truck that he sold, so I was able to reset the codes and go on. It has done that to me 3 times since. When it goes limp, (get your mind out of the gutter), it shows code P1516.
Maybe someday I will have time to dive into this...
Try locating the instructions for resetting the language on a truck with no steering controls. I know how because I kept pulling and pushing on everything until something happened. After I spent a couple of years waiting for English to come back around. Sometimes the DIC would simply show "Language - Espanole" and would not allow the trip button to do anything, so I could not even switch to odometer. I called 3 dealers and none could figure it out... heres how - key on, hold trip button down until language shows, pull bright light flash lever forward to select language. Give it a second to change with each pull. Let off trip button.
BTW, no cruise control for 3 years because the truck did come with it - finally decided to do something about it last summer. Come to find out, all I needed was the multifunction switch (blinker) with the controls - everything else is in the modules. Purchased switch from cruisecontrol.com (or something like that) for about $160 and installed - done deal.
If anyone know which module or circuit to look at...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts