Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help--

So my check engine light went on a day or two ago. The next day it is gone. Then it comes back on and the temp gauge goes to 260 and I get the engine overheating idle...
The next minute I get the reduced power message and my temp gauge goes to zero.
Later I start the truck and everything is normal- no check engine light and no messages... Temp gauge is right at normal level..
Mind you- the truck never overheated and the power was never reduced.
I took the truck in twice just before 100k miles for a check engine light and both times it was cleared and they (two different dealers) sent me on the way saying they could not duplicate why the light went on... A sensor sent the message but the truck was fine...
I am thinking a loose connection or maybe a bad computer or something? The truck has been pretty flawless so far-
I am the original owner and have 103k miles on it. Just trying to get a little smarter before I go into the dealer so that I can help them diagnose it quickly if possible and so I don't pay for anything I don't need. Very good chance I will drive it in there and it will be fine- no check engine light or codes...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have an appointment at the dealer Thursday morning- really hoping someone else has experienced this.

The truck started this morning with no check engine light but it came on after a couple minutes and the temp gauge pegged at 260. So I listened to the bells and had to watch the DIC tell me to pull over and turn off motor all the way to work- that was after it told me engine power reduced...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Have you checked your coolant recovery tank? Have you had the coolant or hoses replaced lately? Maybe there's an air bubble inside that needs to be burped or your t-stats (there's 2) are not opening.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the dealer replaced the temp. gauge sensor and everything is back to normal but there was another code for the turbo vane sensor. This is the third time this code has come up but the sensor always tests fine.

So now they are thinking the turbo is a problem. Funny they didn't want to do anything about it when it was under warranty. It was at the same dealer in June for the same vane sensor code and they just cleared it and said everything is checking out fine. Both times this code came up I took the truck to a GM dealer- so there is a record.

Now with 103k miles they want me to replace the turbo...

Dealer has a call into GM to discuss. If GM does not agree to replace turbo if it goes in the next few thousand miles (the truck seams fine to me) I am gonna send the truck down the road. I hope they are fair with me- I love this truck and was planning to keep her for another 100k.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If they have records of it they had better look after it. I know my dealer definitely would. It's also not like they would be losing tons of billable (to GM for warranty) hours, it's not that bad of a job!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Try a different dealer for a second opinion and then go from there.Also when you get it all figured out and if it's not something major I would definitely delete and be done with the problematic emmisions system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts