Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, I replaced my original IP with a reman from Badger Diesel. They had the best price (that wasn't a rebuilder from Florida,) and since I just finished building my house, money was certainly a factor. I have bought parts from them before, and everything always worked fine, but I would like some advice on how to make adjustments to make the truck run its best.

My current situation:

After adjusting the timing to its current place (turned towards driver's side), the truck idles beautifully, better than ever before with a reduction in smoke and noise. When I am driving around, all is well until about 2000 RPM. At that RPM, the truck "takes off" so to speak, and RPMs and MPH rise quickly. I think that the adjustment on the pass. side of the IP is too high up on the wheel (not sure of the technical jargon, I believe it is some kind of fuel advance?) Can that be adjusted while the IP is on the truck? So far, the only adjustment I have done is lower the idle speed.

Notes: I have zero fuel leaks of any kind, and no air in the fuel at all. Also no exhaust leaks or intake/boost leaks (new intake manifold gaskets were installed.) I have no smoke at idle, and only a little black smoke while driving, mostly between 3rd and 4th gear.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
The adjustments on those reman pumps usually have a tamper proof seal marking placed on the various screws/adjustment areas.If you touch those areas and make adjustments the rebuilder won’t honour the warranty if there is a problem.I’d probably contact badger diesel and explain the situation to them.They probably will offer a solution that will help you.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha. I will be in touch with them then. Is there a picture around that shows all of the adjustment areas so I can accurately communicate my issues?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
I’ll see what I can find and will post a picture.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
I found this picture so the pink markings you see are the common areas for outside adjustment by the pump rebuilder but once the pink areas are broken free by the owner,the warranty is void so be sure to avoid doing so.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
I believe the top right colored area, (the upper pump cover bolt), has tamper paint to notify the rebuilder if you've taken the cover off to turn up the fuel delivery adjustment. If you look at the other side of the pump as it's displayed in that picture, there's a small triangular cover with three screws lower down on the body of the pump. You can rotate the pump driveshaft with that cover off and get to the fuel delivery screw. If it doesn't have tamper paint. I specifically asked the rebuilder of my last DB2 (a '93 also) to turn up the fuel delivery screw and he didn't. So, I did. I had sent him an extra DB2 that I had. I get about a max of 13 psi boost which is all I want.

Reactions: dieselolds
1 - 6 of 6 Posts