Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so turns out I have a blown head gasket and leaking into #6. This is going to cost me alot of money to fix and I don't want to go through this again. Given the mods on my sig., what type of upgrades should I do to prolong this happening again. The dealer is telling me that I shouldn't have the heads milled, WHY? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
im not really sure why they cant mill the heads (made out of aluminum, to soft to mill?)but i had the same issue with my head gaskets and i had to replace the heads as well.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've milled several aluminum heads, It can be done with no problem,

·
Registered
57 Posts
dmax heads are not machinable AT ALL! if out of warpage spec, must replace. you can put an extremely light surface on them using a belt sander lathe so there nice and clean for the new gaskets, but thats it...

you should not have this problem again, as long as you dont run it hot, there is a 2nd generation head gasket for our LB7's that is more robust

·
Registered
57 Posts
have done too many to count with NO problems ;)....my machine shop we use - uses a very fine paper, and simply runs it for a couple seconds. mainly to clean up the soot in the combustion area and get rid of the firing ring marks. This way you can also get an accurate reading with your straight edge and feeler gauge

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would go with the head studs as Trip said, just incase you ungrade to a bigger charger later also easier to torque. I think the cost is compairable to replacement bolts..

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
have done too many to count with NO problems ;)....my machine shop we use - uses a very fine paper, and simply runs it for a couple seconds. mainly to clean up the soot in the combustion area and get rid of the firing ring marks. This way you can also get an accurate reading with your straight edge and feeler gauge
No offence to sixam but you should know some background on the guy you are arguing with. http://www.socaldiesel.com/about us.htm
I'd listen to him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
not trying to argue, and I respect trippin and his experiance. I only have 8 years in the field as a GM Master Tech at a Chevrolet dealership. I work on ALOT of dirty max's, and stay in close contact with a couple of the engineers for our fine diesel's.

I'm only giving 100% accurate advise/comments on this site, or none at all.

·
Registered
339 Posts
As for GM's guide lines if the head is marked- replace it. If you can catch it with your finger nail- replace the head. Did one last month..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Why can they not be surfaced? I understand you cannot take alot of material off. We have surfaced heads with no ill effects. We did check and correct valve reccess after they were surfaced.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Do not under any circumstances use a belt sander surfacer. This will ruin the straightness of the heads. :eek:
So does this mean I shouldn't use my dremel either?:eek:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Plane it, thick gaskets. GM just wants to make money on the parts.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Why can they not be surfaced? I understand you cannot take alot of material off. We have surfaced heads with no ill effects. We did check and correct valve reccess after they were surfaced.
Valve recess is probably the biggest factor. These engines only have approx .045 P to V clearance to start with.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to be abrupt in my previous post. I've seen these sand paper surfacing machines over the years ruin more heads, it can't compare to a machined surface. If you need to remove carbon try using a scotch brite pad by hand instead.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you rearlly suggest to use the scotch bright or even the plastic yellow or green nipple discs?? thought it would take too much off unevenly.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Do you rearlly suggest to use the scotch bright or even the plastic yellow or green nipple discs?? thought it would take too much off unevenly.
A green houshold scotch bite pad by hand will clean off the carbon without removing material.

I have seen the powered scotch brite pads do some serious damage.:eek:

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
a flat board with some scotch brite pad is the best.

Resurfacing these is no problem up to about .006" for stock stuff.

surface finish is absolutely critical

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Anyone can become a GM mastertech. :rolleyes: They are at every dealership screwing things up. There are some good ones no doubt but you were taught to think inside the GM box. Sorry, but not good enough.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Anyone can become a GM mastertech. :rolleyes: They are at every dealership screwing things up. There are some good ones no doubt but you were taught to think inside the GM box. Sorry, but not good enough.

Thanx...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts