Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to the dealr this morning and about 10 minutes into the whole escapade, the guy behind the desk got me out of the waiting room and asked me to walk out back and talk to the mechanic. the mechanic was kind of confused at why the truck was in there because the SES light was not lit. I explained to him the symptoms that the truck had and come to find out he was not used to the Duramax and was not sure what he was looking for. I had him check the balance rates of all of the injectors 3 of the 8 were out to lunch. Next was the fuel return rate, that was in the 850-1000 cc range but he had no idea what it was supposed to be. The rail pressure at idle was 4900-5050 and according to the Tech 2 that is where it was supposed to be. To make a long story short after about 1.5 HRS of talking and shooting the breeze I dragged out the letter from GM about the injector special policy and right there on the spot he said he would get them coming. however there is still something that still concerns me. During the daignosis I noticed a few things, 4 of 7 attempts the cam position sensor failed the test. Is this a symptom of that locator pin on the front of the cam about to fail, or just the sensor going bad? Also, the boost pressure sensor showed 14 PSI at idle, is this detecting atmospheric pressure or is that bad too? Does anyone know what the fuel return rates should be? Forgive me for the long post but I just figured where I dont know the answers to these questions someone would.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you really want this guy working on your truck?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
if you had to help the mechanic working on your truck I'd be looking for a different dealer with a more qualified mechanic.

·
Registered
220 Posts
X2 ... for sure!!!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This guy will not be doing the job. He was only diagnosing it for problems. one of the two duramax technicians was on vacation this week and the other one ( the one that was supposed to look at my truck today) had called in sick to work, so this guy was trying to run the tech 2 and doing what the computer told him to do. trust me, the dealer will have one of the right guys work on it. I know a few people that have taken them here for this repair and all of them are just fine. not only that but one of the guys I know had his truck there and they could not get one of the injectors out of each head so they replaced both heads. but what I am really looking for is an answer to my questions.......

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still have some questions in here if someone cares to take a stab at them.......

·
Registered
250 Posts
ZF6man My ses light kept coming on and going off for about a month, the code was the cam position sensor, finally one day my truck wouldn't start, long story short, I unhooked my VanAaken box sure enough there was a pen slid back,... not much. Anyway hooked back up ses light has not come back on..Don't know if that is what your looking for or not..As for as your balance rates go,I have the #1 injecter some days its 2.0 then check it later it's 3.5 4.0 etc no smoke, good mileage, easy starts runs like a champ...hopefully you get it figured out soon..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never got the SES light. This was a test run by the dealer with the tech 2. and at the time my VA box had been removed. I still dont have it in there. before I went to the dealer I took it out. but right before I took it out the truck would knock and run absolutely terrible and shutter and barely goes on any setting but stock. I took it out later that day and no problem with the shutter since still smokes took it to the dealer and they are goign to do injectors.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wonder if the box is going bad? How many miles on yours..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got it used and I have put about 35000 on it since then I was not aware that these have a liftime

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not sure about the lifetime, Just thinking maybe..

·
Registered
250 Posts
By the way when I said miles, I meant on the truck as for injecters. Not trying to confuse you..:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts