Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the higest horsepower/torque that i can run with out temp issues or trans issues 40,60 or 80.my trailer is not real heavy but i want to be able to hook into anything with out trouble and i don't want to go through the noisy exhaust thing(drone)

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do yoy know if you put it back to factory seting do you loose the tire adjustment?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yes you can still have the tire re-cal and speed limiter raised when on stock with the predator. Later Jeremy
Edited by: heartbeatcanada

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
With v1.04 I ran the 65 setting without going over 1300, but it was a relatively flat tow and only about a 6000 pound trailer.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
INSTRUMENTATION!

Witout gauges you are blind...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Kennedy on this one. I wouldn't tow anything with ANY BOX without at least the EGT gauge. Heck I've even stopped running my Predator period until I can pony up a few extra bux for the gauge install. I also do little to no towing, but I want to play it safe.Edited by: Victory Red

·
Registered
958 Posts
Quick question here, does anyone know if the predator either increases rail pressure, or does it change the pulse width of the injectors?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Woohoo! You'll love this Mackin, James offered to do a custom tune on a Predator that will paint my world black, and I got a line on a vintage 70horse Van Aaken smartbox.. I'll have to get video of a 3rd gear, 1000rpm to the floor for you

·
Registered
958 Posts
Has someone already done it?
What kind of results would you predict?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Dave,

The new Predator 1.10b still sets codes on my truck (sitting in my driveway at idle even!). Exhaust temps on 85HP setting on full throttle run were about 100 degrees higher than my CA Hot Juice on level 4 (125HP).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Given the wide range of other options out there the Predator has way too many faults to keep running it on our trucks IMHO. The tunes offer lower power, higher EGT's, and shift poorly on the Allison.

I had mine updated one time and I won't go through that disaster again. Customer service has been a real pain for sure.

I purchased mine because I really wanted a scan tool and speedo recalibration, the tunes were just a bonus. The scan tool functions have worked great but I stopped running the tunes ages ago.

I would go with the Quad or Attitude before the Predator any day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have to agree with BMDMAX, I have a Predator and I have run the 1.10 65hp tune for a few weeks. I liked it, but it was a custom tune that runnin' sent me. I recently pushed in the 85hp tune (another one James sent me) and it seems too unrefined. The engine is noisier, there is a LOT of smoke on full throttle punches, and the thing won't hold 75mph with cruise control on at all. It just lurches forwards and backwards. As for EGT, I would have to say they are not bad, but it will get hot if you stay in it for awhile. The power is great. The worst part is that I bought the thing so I could adjust for tires and it won't let me make that modification. I'll have to keep it for the scanner (and I'll probably make them update it so I can at least tweak the tire size), but I have already placed an order for the Quad Towing module. Pisses me off that I spent $400 and basically got nothing out of it.

This is not to say that James' service @ runnin' was not helpful. He at least got me some custom tunes and such, but I can never seem to get ahold of him for more help. Hopefully he is too busy, but I need something that works and the Predator just wasn't doing it for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Aside from the Predator usefullness as a power programmer being doubtful (at best
), what other options exist for data review like looking at injector pulse, etc? I'd love to get a programmer to stack with the Juice which (1) displays data, (2) adjusts speedo, (3) is freakin useable, and (4) is NOT locked to my VIN (!!!).

Two strikes against the Predator for me - won't spend the money...

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey gassed I have the pred and was throwing codes on the old version but since I went to the 1.10 version I havent had any problems as for the tire size I was having the same problem until they explained how to use it its not in my instructions you have to go to modify tune select the tune to modify then hit set parameters once in that screen plug in your numbers for the tires botn stock and actual and hit enter it then takes you back to the set parameter screen once there hit esc and it will ask you if you want to install the modified tune then hit enter after having programed the truck if you want to change to a different tune you have to go through the same sequence you cant just go to tune it and let it rip you must go through modify tune every time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, newbie here at the forum. I've been reading it for a while, in fact got information for the Nictane Filter Kit here, ordered it, and installed it. I would highly recommend the kit for everyone. Anyway, finally decided it was time to register. This is a great place to learn!

I bought the predator when it had the 1.06 tune for my 2001 Duramax. All the tunes worked fine except for the 85hp tune. I sent it back and received a new Predator with the 1.08 tune. I have run all but the highest tune and they work great. Of course I don't have another tuner to compare it too. I towed a 12,000lb. 5er in the 65hp tune and had no problems with high exhaust temps. Ran between 65 and 80mph on a 5 hour pull- with some pretty steep and long hills. In fact, my 80mph run was up a hill when an 18 wheeler started gaining on me and a slower vehicle was just ahead. I nailed it and pulled into the passing lane and was gone! I was really impressed.

The old 1.06 version really turned the power on in the 120hp tune. Had a black puff of smoke on pedal mash, otherwise, hardly any smoke in any of the other tunes. Can't wait to try it again with the 1.08 Predator.

Am going to use the 85hp tune this weekend pulling the 5er again. I'll let everyone know how that went when I get back Mon.

The predator has not set any codes in my truck and the tire size feature works great. I run 285/75R/16 tires and my speedo is right on now for the first time. I personally would recommend this tuner.

Thanks guys-great forum!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts