Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up with a case of Valvoline DEX V by mistake. It says it's a synthetic blend. It also says good for '96+ Ford vehicles. I doubt this is any good for the 4L80E, but thought I'd make sure. If not what about Transynd, the local Allison dealer has it for $30/gal. I've been running regular old CO-OP brand DEX III up till now.
Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I don't know if there have been any changes in tranny designs, but it used to be if you used the wrong fluid your clutches would get trashed - fast.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the exact reason I'm asking if the DEX V or Transynd will work.

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
TranSynd should be fine in a 4L80. The Allison dealer (Atlantic Detroit Diesel Allison) where I bought my TranSynd said they run TranSynd in their 2500 Chevy Express service van, and the 2500 Express's have 4L80's. Id get Mike or Eric's oppinion first tho..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some reason I have been calling this stuff DEX V when in reality it's Merc V... I researched a bit and read the label from front to back and top to bottom and low and behold it says it's a direct replacement for DEX II and DEX III. It says it's also good for a few other applications too. I guess unless someone has evidence otherwise I'll run with it.
Justin

·
Registered
272 Posts
Man, I dont know. Ford and GM have always used totally different tranny fluids specs. The Mercon V I believe is the latest Ford tranny spec. Dont think I would use it in the GM tranny. TransSynd is the absolute best tranny fluid to use in Dexron III apllications, and the price really aint bad if you buy it straight from Allison.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I purchased some Mobil 1 ATF this weekend that is compatable across a number of different platforms using different fluids. On the label is says Dex V but on the back it says it is "a multi vehicle formula" compatable with Dex III, Mercon & Dex V.

Here is a link if you are interested. I don't think they are selling Dex III anymore as there is no need for it with this new fluid . Perhaps this is the case with your DEX V.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.asp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts