Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my notice in the mail that I am now a member of a class action lawsuit against GM. :eek: Anybody else in Missouri get one? The meat of it follows:

"Plaintiffs in this case claim that, beginning with model year 1995, GM equipped vehicles with DEX-COOL coolant at the factory and warranted DEX-COOL performance in the dcooling suystem for a period of five years or 150,000 miles (or 100,0000 miles for 19995-1996 model year vehicles). Plaintiffs claim that cooling systems filled with DEX-COOLfailed to perform as promised. Specifically, Plaintiffs claim that: (1) in 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8 liter engines, DEX-COOL is incompatible with the lower intake manifold gasket and causess the gaskets to fail; and (2) in 4.3 liter engines, DEX-COOL causes corrosion and the formation of a mud-like substance called 'sludge' that damages various engine and cooling system parts. Plaintiffs also claim that when the lower manifold gasket failed within 3 years or 36,000 miles of purchase or lease, GM replaced the defective gasket with another defective gasket. Planitffs alllege that General Motors has violated the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, 15 U.S.C -2301, and the Missouri Merchandising Practes Act, R.S. Mo - 407.010 ."

"GM denies that it warrented DEX-COOL for 5 yearsor 150,000 miles (or 100,000 miles for 1995-1996 model year vehicles) and denies that DEX-COOL is incompatible with intake manifold gaskets in 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 liter engines and causes corrosion in 4.3 liter engines."

·
Registered
294 Posts
Our trucks have Dex-cool in them has there ever been any problems with the Duramax Diesel engine and Dex_cool???

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I bought my truck, the dealer stressed to me several times that the DEX-COOL was good for 5 years, so I do not understand the denial by GM.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what my '04 Owner's Manual says about coolant! They probably all say the same thing, wouldn't you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got one of these, The wife did also.:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Great, another reason US automakers are losing their shirts. Had alot of Dexcool vehicles and never any problems, although the highest miles I've had on one was 160k on my 97 Z71. Of course, I changed the coolant before 150k mi too.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
The mere statement that something has been designed to go 5 years or 150,000 miles does NOT imply that it is being warrantied for that long.

All cars and trucks have been desiged to go a lot longer than that, but they are generally warrantied for 36 months or 36,000 miles bumper to bumper and most recently the GM powertrains are being warrantied for 5 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first.

A warranty is meant to protect the vehicle from PREMATURE failures, not from old age or inadequate maintenance.

From my experience, the problems I've seen with DEXCOOL or any other silicate-free coolant for that matter, come from MIXING it with the older and cheaper ethylene glycol antifreeze. DEXCOOL must be topped-off with DEXCOOL. But what I see is that most people NEVER check their coolant except when they go to a quick oil change joint and then let the ignorant oil jockeys top-off their coolant with whatever they may have handy at the time. Many of these vehicles are being topped-off with incompatible coolant. Then when these owners have a problem, they blame GM, when in fact they should be blaming the idiots who serviced their vehicle.

Cars and trucks have improved over the years to the point where most owners never read their owners manual. This is bad, because owners then will believe anything they hear and asume it to be gospel truth, when in fact they are too lazy to read the documentation supplied by the manufacturer. If a salesman tell you that your truck can go 150,000 miles without servicing does not mean that GM's warranty covers it. The owners manual essentially says that NO ONE can verbally change that warranty to make GM liable for anything that is not already written there.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I personally think that the problem was the gaskets more than the coolant. GM started using those cheap plastic gaskets around the same time as they started using DexCool. Those gaskets crap out no matter what coolant is used.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wish I was in on this suit in Illinois. I have a 96 S-10 Blazer with dexcool. It got to the point where the heater wouldn't work any more. So I changed stats several times, flushed the coolant, and still no heat. So I removed the hoses going to the core and blew out a chunk of "mud". Put it all back together and it then worked great. A couple days later I got a leak under the dash. Sure enough the core has to come out. This means on this truck the entire dash has to come out to get it out. So now it just sits in the garage until spring while I drive my Dmax.

·
Registered
453 Posts
We have a 3.4L Pontiac thats had some lower intake manifold issues. DeLuca is right, the gaskets are pretty chintzy.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
The only thing that'll save them is if they look in the owners manual service instructions....
I beleive it says to change the coolant premature of what they claimed it'll stand up too.
Not too sure but its too cold to run outside right now :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts