Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a strange question, but what is the proper Detroit Diesel color? If I take my engine out in the future, I'd paint it. I've seen some sort of pale green someone has painted their 6.5 with and also saw this same color on a link someone just posted for engines. Our Detroit engines we use, where I sell my time, on our machines are a bluish gray. I've seen DD engine enclosures, though, and engines a couple years ago at the Con/Agg Expo that were a silverish blue (similar to the original Pontiac blue). What is the proper color for DD?

Yes, I'm particular about these things, to say the least.

Thanks,
SnowDrift

·
Registered
710 Posts
Pale green is the color DD used for years and years. Only since the development of the DDEC engines in the 80's did they change color to try and update the product

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Cowracer is the one who panted his engine. Search through his threads.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of what I thought might be the case. Thanks!

SnowDrift

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duplicolor High Heat Spray Paint

Color DE 1618 Detroit Diesel Alpine Green

Tim

I have the utmost respect for you for painting this the proper color. There's not much more inappropriate to me than a black engine. There's just no personality without some color, in my opinion.

SnowDrift

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I just don't like the green DD chose, so when I do my project engine I'll be going back with the early model orange-red 6.2 color

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The newer series 60 Detroits color is not as strange as the old ones.
agreed. In fact, I like the newer color. It's not metallic, but it's blue/gray (more blue) in color. Looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Any idea what the ACTUAL Red/Orange color for the 6.2's is?

I painted some valve covers with "Chevy Red/Orange" was TOO orange for my liking, so I painted them FORD red, beautiful.

I wasn't driving in '82, so I couldn't see what a NEW 6.2 looked like that was the red color, just what the color looks like after 20+ years...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think some early to mid '60s era Olsmobiles used a very similar red on their engines. That red paint that GM put on the early 6.2l was some seriously tough paint. I often acid dipped them for cleaning before machining and the paint usually stayed. The black stuff on the gassers and the 6.5's was gone in 5 miniutes.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts

I painted some valve covers with "Chevy Red/Orange" was TOO orange for my liking, so I painted them FORD red, beautiful.

I wasn't driving in '82, so I couldn't see what a NEW 6.2 looked like that was the red color, just what the color looks like after 20+ years...
Once I finish degunking it I'll know better

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Just FYI, there is scientific proof that painting any GM engine with Ford paint will cause the engine to burn excessive amounts of oil, break down frequently and will eventually lead to premature rusting. It's just not a good idea.

SnowDrift

Reactions: 654L80

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
There's just no personality without some color, in my opinion
Are you reading my mind? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
215 Posts
the newer 50 series detroits are a blue color, we installed 2 last spring forgot about that and the 6v** im trying to get from work is silver

·
Registered
297 Posts
Are you reading my mind? :rolleyes:
Ive seen pics of your engine CR, from the looks of it.. you have WAY too much personality :lol:

i went with fire engine red, just like the rest of the truck..

vin

·
Registered
877 Posts
Actually, you're right that painting the valve covers red has resulted in one of them leaking.

But, it doesn't burn any oil, the leak doesn't even show up on the dipstick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Older Detroits are blueish green. Will post up a pic later today sometime if I figure that part of this board out. Got one that came out of a truck sitting in the barn, so shouldn't be much of a problem.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
It was a red red, similar to the Ford color - specifically, to distinguish it from Chevy Orange, even tho the 6.2 was a joint venture between Chevrolet and another division of GM, Detroit Deisel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.