Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Box, D/A. The brochure lists the payload for a "base" model at 3342 lbs. If you consider an LS model with the D/A, what is a more realistic figure? I tow a fifth wheel with a pin weight of almost 1800 lbs. Does a truck like this weigh about 7000 lbs? If so, that only leaves 2200 lbs before exceding the GVWR. I wish they made the one ton with SRW in a short box. Think they will in 2005?

·
Registered
124 Posts
here is 1600 # in the bed and 1200 more on the hitch. been all over western u.s. 2500

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Some things to consider before selecting a shortbed for a 5th wheel:

Some will have cab-clearance issues in sharp corners. The fuel capacity is 1/3 less in the SB.

The SRW 3500 is just rear springs and different tires/rims. You can easily bring the 2500 up to that spec fairly inexpensively.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the SRW 3500HD only gives you an extra 700 lbs of cargo capacity.

My K2500HD Crew Cab short bed weights 6800 lbs with just me in it.

FISHHOG - you must really have a strong back to get those 4 wheelers up on top of the bed. Man!!!

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Payload determined: when the axle hits the bump stops...Still Undetermined...

Ive had the entier bed full of rocks, and it bottomed out pretty easy if you werent careful. Ide bet it was right around 5000 lbs...

Didnt do that again, but I dont think I hurt anything...

On edit: Ive got 3100 lbs in the bed of concrete right now...(90 lbs x 35 bags) I got under there and looked, the axle is about 1.5 inches from the bumps. I know Ive had more in there...When it was newer. Would bad shocks make the rear end sink more than if the shocks were new?Edited by: mannytranny

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You must consider not only what you can put into the bed, but how long it will take to stop that load in an emergency.

To a certain extent, GVWR's are limited by braking capabilities.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FISHHOG said:
here is 1600 # in the bed and 1200 more on the hitch. been all over western u.s. 2500
Nice 4 wheelers,Hondas?? The yellow one looks like a Rubicon.I got a yellow one too,just to be different from everyone elses camoflage
.Hoping it gets nice soon to do some riding,tired of just pushing snow
...Doug

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just buy a 2500HD shorty and add 265/E tires and air bags. I would rather have the bags than overload springs anyway.

You may also want to go with steel wheels but I think the aluminum ones would do just fine. The rest of the drivetrain is not an issue. --SS

·
Registered
626 Posts
The shocks will have no affect on the payload capacity. They will however affect how your truck handles with a large load.

·
Registered
124 Posts
tundracamper said:
FISHHOG - you must really have a strong back to get those 4 wheelers up on top of the bed. Man!!!
10 foot folding ramps that slide under each atv.

YOU CAN'T PUT ANYTHING BUT A HONDA ON A DURAMAX AT LEAST NOT ON THIS DURAMAX.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yea I like my Hondas too.I had a 89 300 Foutrax and that thing would not die no matter how hard we beat it.I've heard of a couple of tranny failures on the Rubicons,have you had any problems?Did you buy the extended Honda warranty??...Doug

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2500HD Ext Cab Long Box D/A 4WD weighs 7050 pounds with me and nerf bars, front receiver, and a few other heavy aftermarket parts added. That leaves (9200 - 7050) = 2150 lbs for payload. My loaded slide-in camper weighs 3900 lbs wet and loaded for a trip, and a 2nd passenger, which puts me 1750 lbs over GVWR (I basically OK on my axle ratings however).

I've added performance shocks, rear anti-sway bar, and air springs -- truck handles well with load.

I'd go with the SRW 3500 if I were going to do it again (it wasn't available when I bought my rig in December 03). The 2500 has rims that are 6-1/2" wide, and 265R tires are supposed to be on 7" to 8" wide rims. Lots of folks put them on 6-1/2" rims, but the tire manufacturer does not recommend that, and the narrower rims do cause them to crown a little more.

I don't know how much more they want for the 3500 SRW, but if it is say in the range of $1000 or so, it would have been worth it to me to get higher capacity wheels and tires, the factory extra overload springs, AND perhaps most importantly, the higher manufacturer's GVWR certification (could be important in an accident -- insurance coverage could be a problem if it is determined you are overloaded).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to second big-dog1 regarding the mfg's weight certification. I waited for almost a year to buy when I found out about the 3500 SRW coming into production. I wanted to put a pickup camper on it and weight llimit on the 2500HD was too close for comfort. No way did I want to deal with a dually either. I had heard that Canada will check you and make you park it if you're over weight.

I just picked up the truck and its great! GMC 3500 Sierra D/A SLT SRW CC LB. The extra weight capacity makes no noticable difference in the either the ride or the price. (Prices are all over the place anyway, MSRP, List, Invoice, Sale, etc., what can you call THE price of any single truck)

True, the additional capacity is 700# GVW and that's not a hugh amount, but it helps. Somebody also mentioned the smaller fuel tank on the short box. If you like stopping for fuel, that may not matter to you, but for myself the 34 gallon tank is as small as I want. I don't get the short bed thing anyway. What's the advantage? Reduced capacities? If you want that get a Toyota

·
Registered
124 Posts
dougf said:
Yea I like my Hondas too.I had a 89 300 Foutrax and that thing would not die no matter how hard we beat it.I've heard of a couple of tranny failures on the Rubicons,have you had any problems?Did you buy the extended Honda warranty??...Doug
<center>the yellow one is a 2000 450 es , the orange one is a 2001 RANCHER 350 es
and i also have the new 2003 RINCON 650 . this bike is the duramax of ATV'S. my wife had to have it so I couldn't argue. it hauls %%S IN 2 WD AND WILL PULL THE FRONT WHEELS UP PRETTY EASY. full auto with tq. converter. different than the RUBICON . CK OUT THIS PHOTO

</center>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like you need to beef up the rear suspension - are you using a weight equalizing hitch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts