Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Very nice write-up, AND addition to TheBac's Water Pump thread.
I like your wooden wedge/rubber gasket trick.
I agree with your idea of replacing hoses at this time if your truck is getting up in age.
IMO, I wouldn't reuse any O-rings. A failure during reassembly, (or later), isn't worth the inconvienence, time, and effort.
As I have read, buy a few heater pipe O-rings, as this can be damaged during reassembly.

Good Write up! I had been told that the water pump is drivin' off the timing chain but this does not show that. So what does the gear of the pump fit onto? Thanks
I don't believe the D-Max has a timing chain. Everything in front is gear driven, including water pump.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Very nice write-up, AND addition to TheBac's Water Pump thread.
I like your wooden wedge/rubber gasket trick.
I agree with your idea of replacing hoses at this time if your truck is getting up in age.
IMO, I wouldn't reuse any O-rings. A failure during reassembly, (or later), isn't worth the inconvienence, time, and effort.
As I have read, buy a few heater pipe O-rings, as this can be damaged during reassembly.

I don't believe the D-Max has a timing chain. Everything in front is gear driven, including water pump.

Re-using the o-rings was not plan A. I had ordered o-rings that were listed, but were not the right size. In any case, new or used, it is essential to take your time when re-installing the pump to avoid damaging the o-rings.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Good job!

The only thing I can add is it is not necessary to tighten the fan clutch on assembly. Just spin it on w/ the fan blades until it's snug. It'll tighten up as soon as you start it up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Water pump

I just finished a head gasket job on my room mates LLY saturday night and we replaced his water pump while we were in there. I did my water pump yesterday. My LB7 pump just started to leak a couple weeks ago so I ordered two pumps from GMB. The two pumps together cost us $180 shipped and are new pumps not rebuilt. Knowing I was going to do this I also ordered the Lisle tool off ebay for $36.79. Well worth the money.

I forgot to mention that the GMB pumps come with all gasket and o-rings needed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What do you mean "GMB" Would like to use them in the future... Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
i too just installed a new pump on my 03 and the tool was the best thing i have ever bought. new hoses while i was there too. thanks again for the write up, it saved me so much time.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
You can compare pricing mine is getting done today by a shop (I have no time) Total with replacement new pump is $660 bucks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i too just installed a new pump on my 03 and the tool was the best thing i have ever bought. new hoses while i was there too. thanks again for the write up, it saved me so much time.
Glad you found it useful, and you're right about that tool...it makes the job much easier.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Didn't notice if anyone already said it, but the easy way to break your bolt loose on the balancer is to put a breaker bar and cheater pipe over to the driver's side frame and go hit the starter. It'll bust that baby loose before you know it. And when I say hit the starter, just BUMP it. You won't even know it broke loose.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can compare pricing mine is getting done today by a shop (I have no time) Total with replacement new pump is $660 bucks.
Did you have the hoses replaced also with the pump??

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Did you have the hoses replaced also with the pump??
Not on this bill, I had the lower hose replaced before the pump because I thought that was the leak. The hose was about $110 bucks and labor to install it was $125. I still need the upper hoses replaced..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just hooked my neighbor up with this info and Tom's write up and he could not believe how easy this job was to do. A local dealer quoted $960 to do the pump and T-stats. Crazy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
just to let everybody know that you can use a 1-5/16 3/4 in drive socket inplace of the 36mm for the harmonic balancer bolt

·
Registered
424 Posts
Great job! on the write up!

Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I thought I had injector cups leaking and it turned out to be the waterpump. I went ahead and had the steeler do it since they had it and with 2 thermostats, it tapped me for $1200. The balancer was the primary reason I decided against doing it myself. After reading this, I'd have saved myself the labor for sure. Nice job and pics.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree quad-4 pumps are a joke. And fail way more often then duramax pumps.......

21 - 40 of 154 Posts