Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several posters have asked if anyone has posted the procedure for changing the rear axle/hub seal on a 2500 HD. I never found any with pictures.

I did mine today and took the time to document the entire process. Click on the link to see the 40 step by step photos, with captions.

I tried to post this in DIY, but I don't have the privledges to do so. A moderator might post it there if they think it is worthwhile.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={3644A838-753F-4F0A-B70A-D71A46126184}&albumid={D9260CE5-D7E3-44A6-ADD4-2092D76F535B}

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Nice job Flagstaff, detailed and complete, thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great job on your picture taking process. I hope you keep that page up for future viewing cause I saved it in my favorites.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Very nice! :ro)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments. I intend to leave the photos posted.

As for the brakes, I just cleaned them. I had lots of gearlube on the disc pads as well. Everything cleaned up very well, although it did take almost 3 cans of cleaner, lots of paper towels, and some scraping. (The gearlube will mix with dirt and look more like grease than gearlube.) The parking and regular brakes work perfectly after the cleaning.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice write up, BUT i have one big question! i have seen a bunch of posts that said you needed a puller to remove the rear rotors and needed to press the studs out in order to replace the rotors, obviously looking at your pics thats not the case, so why are people saying you need a puller and a press??? or was that for dually trucks thats you need to do that????

i got a '03 2500HD SRW that needs rear rotors real soon so i need to know if i can do this at home or have to do it at work with the press!

thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No press or puller needed.

Nice write up, BUT i have one big question! i have seen a bunch of posts that said you needed a puller to remove the rear rotors and needed to press the studs out in order to replace the rotors, obviously looking at your pics thats not the case, so why are people saying you need a puller and a press??? or was that for dually trucks thats you need to do that????

i got a '03 2500HD SRW that needs rear rotors real soon so i need to know if i can do this at home or have to do it at work with the press!

thanks!
Can't speak for the duallies, but as you can see in the pictures, the rotor just slips over the studs which are pressed into the hub. Replacing the rotors will be a piece of cake. All you'll need to do is remove the wheel, remove the caliper, and slip off the rotor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts