Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I ordered a set of DesignTech 50watts halogen backup bulbs for my truck. Since I have factory deep tinted rear windows and do snowplowing, it is not always easy to see when backing up in the dark so I thought I would give this product a try. I thought that this would be a good alternative than installing auxiliary backup lights.

Anyway I got it in the mail a few days ago and got a chance to install it tonight. I wanted to make a comparison to see how much "brighter" this bulb is, verse the stock 3157 bulb. So I installed the halogen bulb on the driver side only. So I started my truck, set the parking brake firmly and put the gear in reverse. Walk back around in disappointment. The halogen bulb brightness looks EXACTLY the same as the stock bulb!!
But it was getting close to sunset so there is still some daylight at that time. So I thought that perhaps it would not be effective until it is really dark so I decided to wait. A few hours later, it is pretty dark so I went out and checked the backup lights. Still the same result! So I changed the halogen bulb out and put the stock bulb back in.

I am really disappointed in this product. I spent $20 plus $5 shipping for this item.
I know it sound pricy, but again, I thought it would be a good alternative verse adding auxiliary backup lights. Also I would think that it would also cause unnecessary drain and strain on electrical system, which is very important to maintain especially when running a snowplow with several other accessories running.

So my advice is, don't even bother buying this product. There is absoultely nothing to gain at all.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I installed a pair of auxiliary 55w lamps about two months ago. They are mounted under the bumper and triggered by the back-up circuit as well as a seperate switch that I wired in. They make a 1000% difference in seeing behind the truck. I paid $30 for the kit...Well worth every penny IMHO.

Kevin

·
Registered
663 Posts
Fireman said:
I installed a pair.... paid $30 for the kit...

Kevin,

Where did you purchase your kit? Sounds good!

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Bill,

I picked up a set of those 50 watters at Pep Boys about a year and a half ago. I agree they don't do a whole lot more.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thats interesting. Back in 1990, I installed them on my then brand new truck. Same reason....got windows tinted, couldn't see squat.

However, I did the SAME test and came back with a definate noticable whiter/brighter light.

Best thing....Those SAME bulbs are STILL in that truck! 14 years on a set of backup bulbs that get used a LOT (backing landscape trailer/snowplowing, and the simple fact that it's an ext/cab long bed!)

Hey, for $20, I'll probably try them on the new truck. Cant hurt anything (maybe the wallet a bit!).

I haven't decided what route I'm going to go with AUX. back-up lights yet. Had cheapie rubber utility lights mounted on TOP of the bumper just under the tail lights.

Under the bumper is out, as I originally had them this way, but with backing up into snow banks and picking up your broken bulbs afterwards, I moved them up high.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I installed a set of white driving lights on the top of my camper shell, right at the edge where the back window lifts up. I pointed them down at the ground about 15 feet behind the truck. I wired in a separate switch on an always hot circuit so they can be turned on at any time. I wanted to be able to use them while loading my 16’ trailer. They work quite well; you just have to remember to turn them off before you go down the road. One additional use is getting an idiot tail gaiter off your bumper (women in minivans work the best). Wait until they are just about where the full light will hit them in the face and turn them on. Ooooooh do they back off!

·
Registered
463 Posts
jbplock said:
Fireman said:
I installed a pair.... paid $30 for the kit...

Kevin,

Where did you purchase your kit? Sounds good!

I bought my kit from Cabella's, but have seen similar sets at auto parts stores for around the same $.

Kevin

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Napa has some kick butt 100w (true 100w) aircraft landing lights for 13 dollars. They are 5 times brighter then the headlights. They draw a ton of power and need a relay. I bought them and havent had the time to install yet. I have 100w bu lights now but they arent near as bright (1/3rd) as the landing lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts