Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have around 7000 miles on my DMAX now with Delvac 1300, and have been contplating a switch to delvac 1. I’ve been doing changes at 3000 miles (first was at 1000 mi). Going to delvac 1, I’d probably go to a 5000 mile interval or greater. Here is my dilemma…I only put around 7 -10,000 miles a year on the truck, and some of them are short trips. I’m concerned that in the Winter (<st1:State><st1:place>Minnesota</st1:place></st1:State>), going to extended intervals may cause some condensation issues with short trips. I’m now thinking about a less expensive synthetic blend such as Schaeffers that will give me some of the synthetic benefits, but still be affordable to change at the 3000 mile intervals. Any thoughts?Edited by: Roegs

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
If you only drive 7000 miles a year you will only be doing 2 oil changes a year anyways.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As long as you get it up to full operating temp for a while once or twice a week, condensation shouldn't be that much of an issue. Delvac 1 should go the whole year, but I'd have it tested around 8 months to be sure.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Scott, I dont like to let oil sit around that long in my stuff either, I would change it minimum every 6 months. Check out the Schaeffers products, very impressive for the price.

Eric

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have been changing the Delvac 1 every 5K regardless. You should be fine with 5K changes using Delvac 1. Just try to time it so you are making a change at the beginning of your summer towing season.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I go for the twice a year change routine and not worry about the Delvac 1 or Schaeffers. Once in the spring to get ready for summer and once just before the snow flies.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts