Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my local dealer do my first oil change yesterday and I requested a Delco oil filter. An hour later as I am idling through the airport parking garage with my window down looking for a spot, I notice an intermittent tapping noise coming from under my truck. Oil pressure is good, so I decide to wait until today to take it back. The oil change guys looked high and low to find the source of the tapping sound, but could locate nothing loose (the sound was only evident at very low speed or while in gear with the brake applied - it stopped when the transmission was placed in neutral). They decided to replace the day-old Delco filter with their fleet brand, and that stopped the noise.

What is in the Delco oil filter that would make a tapping sound? Bypass? Anti-drainback? Loose filter media? Any other theories?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine...Did you happen to keep the old filter and cut it apart to see what was inside???

·
Registered
866 Posts
I bet that's what it is. Mine (and many here) did the same thing on the first oil change. Normal and it eventually went away with mileage.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It will only Tap Tap for the first hundred miles on the fresh oil. :)

Mine doesnt do it anymore.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It will only Tap Tap for the first hundred miles on the fresh oil. :)
Then it turns into an on & off again TICK...TICK....TICK until it eventually goes away for good in a few thousand miles. Mine doesn't do it anymore either at 31K

·
Registered
816 Posts
Then it turns into an on & off again TICK...TICK....TICK until it eventually goes away for good in a few thousand miles. Mine doesn't do it anymore either at 31K
Still have it at 37k, wish it would just go away.
I have used Delco & Nappa Gold filters and no change. Still running Delo 400 15-40w.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does this sound like an old typewriter?

Check out this link:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142&highlight=ticking

Seems a random ticking noise is common on the Duramax diesels
Thanx for the link! I searched a bunch of combinations of "oil", "filter", "delco", "tapping", "noise" and "sound" but came up with nothing; I am glad you remembered that thread and steered me toward it. My truck did sound just like an old mechanical typewriter (that's a poor simile, since most folks under age forty have never used/heard one). I am glad to hear that it is "normal," and that there is nothing wrong with my truck. I am also really pissed to hear that it is normal because I do not want my $40k truck to sound like it is about to spit a con rod. I love the sound of a smooth-running engine, and hate these kind of mystery sounds.

The sound is apparently related to the oiling system, but no solution has been found. I find it curious that I got the sound upon installation of a new delco oil filter (and oil change) and the sound went away when the dealership changed the delco filter for a cheaper fleet-grade filter (brand: Mity/Mighty/something similar). I wish I had gotten that delco filter now so I could cut it open and inspect it.

I will do my good deed for the day and print this out to give to the dealer - they were as puzzled as I was...

Thanx again! I love this site!

·
Registered
556 Posts
This site is the greatest ain't it!

As several other members have noted the noise *sometimes* goes away once miles are put on the motor, at 33k mine no longer makes the noise and my father's 04.5 with just over 18k is lacking the ticking noise as well. My brother's 06 (lbz) has the noise clear as a bell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts