Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 4.71 Edge box on my 03 GMC Dura/Alli, I can only get half throttle(if that) now without it defueling. What gives? This is dangerous, I went to pass a few nights ago and it defueled so bad I had to jump on the brakes and pull back in. How does the Attitude work with the defueling, does it really work? This is definetly learned behavior, it's gotten worse over time. The rest of the truck is great.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I think it's sensing overboost but I'm not sure. My truck does it with propane on a long acceleration... especially on cool mornings.

NOBODY has been able to help me with mine and I've been mentioning it for over a year.

I've got the codes writen down at home but I know for sure one was overboost and the other was MAF. It kind of stinks that the boxes can do the same thing. I would have thought with them "wired in" that they could override that stuff.

Basically it's the ECM protecting the engine/drivetrain.. I think.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I reset the computer somehow? Maybe undo the battery cables or something? If I can't fix this the truck is gone, for gods sake, I've got it set on level 2 and don't beat on it at all and it's wimping out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, thanks Hoot for your reply. Edge claims that the Attiude has a setting that stops the defueling, wonder if it works.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I would give Edge a call. If your tranny is slipping from terrible relentless thrashing.... that might do it too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that makes this hard to take is I don't and haven't thrashed on this thing. I owned a Ford F250 with a 4R100..trans and didn't blow that up, I'm easy on my vehicles. The trans isn't slipping at half throttle on level 2, I'm at a loss with this. I think I will call Edge again and see what my options are. Thanks again Hoot.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Topgas

How long have you been Juuiced ?? At what levels??

Everyone has to remember that the Allison needs to learn what to do with all the additional power ...Try lower settings for 20 30 shifts ,from stop to OD,from light to 3/4 throttle ,bump it up and repeat .... Also switching back and forth,forth and back from high HP settings to low HP settings gets the Allison confused and always learning and a bit quirky ....

Forget Hoots defueling thats obviously a faulty intake heater ...

Keep us posted ...The more you drive it the better it gets ...

Mac

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mackin, I called Edge and they kind of fell in line with what your saying, pull the programmer, run it for awhile and reinstall. I've had it on there for a few months, I think I'll end up sending back to Edge and let them reprogram it. I want to let anyone who reads this to know that Edge has a great product and I really love it when things are going well. We'll figure it out I'm sure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a update, I don't think this problem has anything to do with defueling or the Edge. There's something else very wrong with it . Sorry if Edge got a bad rap out of this. It's almost like it's running out of fuel.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have you changed your filter??

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Remove the Juice to verify if the problem is elsewhere. Maybe air in fuel system, or a dirty fuel filter, or a dirty air filter. Check only one thing at a time, so you know what the problem was.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the Juice and it's still done it for three days, not the Juice. I checked under the hood and you can see dirt thats attached itself to what I thinik is some sort of fuel leak(very fine) around the fuel filter and firewall. I didn't change the filter because I want the mechanic to see it just the way it is. This borders on dangerous, you can't get on it to hard or it just shuts down. I'm sure it's a simple problem, as most are with stuff like this. I have an appt. today(Tues.) at high noon, ya I'm stealing this poor guys lunch hour. I think I'll make it worth his while.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Keep us posted.... you might be helping me too.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
If you're seeing fuel leakage at the fuel filter, that would be my first place I would look. The stock fuel system operates on vacuum. A vacuum leak is difficult to detect. If fuel is leaking out, you most likely are sucking in air when underload, causing system to get airbound, and run out of fuel.

I would think a new fuel filter would be in order, and ensure both O-rings are properly seated during installation. If this gets rid of problem, reinstall the Juice, and have fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts