Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am traveling and having a DEF issue that I need some help in understanding so I can know if I can continue my trip until I can properly fix the problem. What I need is to know is what harm am I doing to my truck if I am putting in either too little, or no DEF into the system. I am pretty sure the DEF tank is empty, but I'm not popping any codes and not being speed limited or anything. I can put in more DEF, but then would have no way of knowing if it is getting into the system.

So, in that I am able to drive, if I'm not hurting the truck further, I will finish my trip and then figure out what is happening, but if someone can tell me I am really hurting the truck (I know it isn't helping the environment), then I'll see if I can find somewhere to stay and find a repair shop. I would prefer to get to my destination and then get the repairs done as I'll have my family's assistance.

There is some background info that would more fully explain things, but at this point, what I need to know is not how to fix the truck...just what is being hurt if little to no DEF is being pumped into the system.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
What makes you think it's empty?
What year is the truck?

How any miles since the last time the tank was full, or how many miles since you last added some and how much was added?
How many more miles are you hoping for before getting it looked at?

You're not hurting the truck, but it's supposed to provide escalating warnings (and then speed limits) when it is low/empty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I knew I needed a new reductant heater so I was waiting for the tank to get low enough so the weight wouldn't be so great when I had to drop it. So, I've had the new heater for some time...just waiting for the notice I was getting low on DEF. I was down to 106 miles to empty when I replaced the heater...and damaged the pump in the process. I had hoped I had the pump repaired and we had to go into town (about 110 miles). I had a couple of gallons of DEF with me on the trip, but shortly after beginning the trip, I was told I had 500 miles to empty...I watched this drop as we proceeded into town. So, I don't know what was to be believed, but in my gut, I believe the first notice about having 106 miles was correct. So, the tank should have been well emptied by the time I got home so I could try to further figure out what is going on. I now have a new pump on its way, but it won't be here until Friday. Once I get the new pump on, and what with the new heater, perhaps all will be ok (well, after a couple of permanent code clearing cycles)...but if not, just was wondering what further damage I might be doing if I run with an empty DEF tank or a system that is not functioning properly and not putting in enough (or maybe ANY) DEF. Just trying to learn a bit more abut how the DEF works and how it impacts the engine and not just the environment.

My truck was throwing the DEF faulty heater code for several thousand miles, but in that we live in AZ, I wasn't too worried about my DEF freezing and I was able to clear the code so I wasn't being speed limited, so I wasn't too worried about getting it fixed...and then a surgery further pushed back the repair until now we are due to depart again, so I figured I'd do the repair now. I didn't anticipate making things worse...damn Youtube videos make some things look so much simpler than they really are...or leave out some key points. Fingers crossed for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see in the replacement pump kit, there are two o-rings. The larger is for the inlet tube, but the small 0-ring...where does it go? I didn't see any o-ring on my original pump...so can anyone tell me where it is supposed to go?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts