Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Relatively new owner here. I recently installed an Edge Insight CTS2 for monitoring my truck after its head gasket issues. I usually try to drive like a sane individual, but occasionally I've had to get on the go pedal when merging into traffic. A couple of those times, the Edge has thrown up a blinking warning about "DEF level at 99" or similar. It will drop to maybe 33, then I'm usually back to normal on the throttle and the message goes away entirely. This sounds like the result of an uphill merge at higher acceleration forcing the fluid in the tank to the back of the tank, possibly away from the pickup and level sensor. The DIC has never said anything other than "OK" for the fluid level. I'm guessing that everything is fine, but I figured I would ask here before assuming that and having a problem later. My search-fu didn't seem to find much.

Jonathan

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
While I have no specific knowledge of how the whole DEF system works, that sounds like the insight is getting the near-instantaneous value of the DEF level sensor, which would vary significantly with what forces are being applied to the truck. The computer running the DIC likely is averaging out the value over a longer period of time to reduce the likelihood of false alarms.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have seen my DEF level fluctuate on the Edge when going up/or down steep grades. I think that I have noticed it when getting on it to merge into freeway traffic. It levels off at a constant speed. I assumed that it was just the fluid in the tank moving around.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
seems normal. wouldn't worry unless the truck, not the edge, lets you know something is wrong with the DPF or needs fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts