Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DEF level was at 17% so I added a 2.5gal jug of DEF. The level went to 24% and has not changed. I drove 750 miles and it is still at 24%. I added another 2.5gal jug of DEF and the level is still at 24%. I searched this forum and didn't find anything related to this. Has anybody experienced this? What is the fix?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ive had it happen in the winter. After a couple weeks it started to work normally. Id either give it a couple weeks or head into the dealer. Your choice.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
do you have a tech2 scanner ,or know somebody that has one?

fill the DEF tank to full [in the filler neck],the ''reset'' the DEF level to full,using the tech 2 scanner

·
Registered
5 Posts
my truck has been to 3 different dealers for a total of 6x in 4yrs for this issue.
each time its "fixed" they guarantee it wont do it again. i know once or twice the def heater has been replaced, not sure what that has to do with it. and the rest they reset it manually with a tech 2. its very frustrating!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My 16 was stuck at 18%, then it creeped back up to 24% over a couple weeks then dropped slowly to 10%. I added 2.5 gallons and it says OK, vans only show percentage when it gets to 25%.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So if it's stuck at 24% does that mean you will never have to add DEF because the truck think it still has 24% left? It won't go into limp mode? Maybe doing the delete is a waste of money. All we have to do is trick the DEF level sensor into thinking it's full all the time...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I left the situation alone and it fixed itself. I don't know if it is accurate but I figure it finally dropped below 24% and kind of "reset".

·
Registered
18 Posts
My owners manual says I have a 5.3 gallon tank, when the DIC comes on it says somewhere around 24% then I add 2.5 gallons. One would think if my math is correct I would have 3/4 full tank, (75%). I have been doing this for several years and had no problems. This last time it said 24% and I added 2.5 gallons, no change still at 24%, so I added another 2.5 gallons, for a total of 5 gallons! The DIC still said 24%. I was originally almost completely empty and the truck was running fine. Oh, and the warranty only covers if they have to replace parts, not to re-set the computer so that cost $140. I have no faith in this system and will have to monitor it closely.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
So if it's stuck at 24% does that mean you will never have to add DEF because the truck think it still has 24% left? It won't go into limp mode? Maybe doing the delete is a waste of money. All we have to do is trick the DEF level sensor into thinking it's full all the time...
I'm gonna guess that over time it would decide that the level isn't changing as expected and cause a fault...

but it would be fun to try.:eek:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well I guess I jinxed my self... I got a MIL the other day with a p205B code. Reductant tank Temp sensor circuit range/performance. I'm glad GM extended the warrenty on the DEF system to 10 years 120,000 miles..I have 118,000 on it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts