Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had my first issue with the new truck. Went sledding to the mountains this weekend. Kinda cold. Need to fuel up and checked def level before I pulled in. It showed 30%. Filled the truck up with fuel and went inside to grab some food and drink as well as a 2.5 gallon jug of def. Put the jug in and pulled off to the side to eat my sandwich. Def was still reading had gone to 29% in all this time. So continued on figuring the level would go back to OK. It never did. Went all the way to the mountains and back and on my way back (about 8 hours driving time) the def level is now at 28%. So I have plugged the truck in when I got home and unloaded and will see if it changes over night. Temps going to -30C tonight. I plan to get it in the shop for a few hours tomorrow to thaw out and see if maybe the def tank is partially frozen. I have seen it happen on the Mack trucks a few times. Hour in the shop and the tank is GTG. Otherwise I guess Im going to the dealer.:coolnana:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
the truck will be ok,with frozen DEF,,you are ok to drive it,even down here,after I hit 0%[zero] def I can still drive 500+ miles before it limits the speed to 65mph

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Washed the truck and put it into the crane bay this morning and cranked the heat. Was in there for 4 1/2 hrs. Still didn't read and stuck at 28%. Supposed to get warm this weekend so hopefully it thaws out then. I don't care if it thaws out when reading "ok" I just don't like it under 30% freezing up. Ill confirm that everything is good when it eventually thaws out. Its funny because I have thawed a few tanks out and it usually takes less then an hour with much bigger tanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
During late summer I had the same problem. Took 1500 miles to reset in warm weather. Has worked fine ever since. Might not be frozen???

·
Registered
4 Posts
My truck was stuck on 28% as well (even after adding DEF). Took it to the dealer and they reset it been working fine since

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine was reading 28% the other day. I added 5 gallons. Thought it was only supposed to hold 5.3 gal but whatever. 300 miles and 2 weeks later it still reads 28%. A few days ago we hit 50+ degrees 2 days in a row. Definitely not frozen.
Going to the dealer tomorrow for the seat belt pre-tensioner recall and to have the TPMS reset. Can't even rotate your own tires anymore without an $80 tool so the TPMS can re-learn the wheel positions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can do the programming yourself. It is a bigger process to do it and I did print it out to do our escalades winter tires but never got around to it. You have to get into the programming mode and add air to each tire. Do a search and you can probably find it.

I am still at 28% too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar experience with my DEG reading on a 2015 and the dealership told me they fixed it with a computer update. My problem was slightly different b/c my DEF percentage kept falling until I got the X miles to limp mode even though I added 4 gallons of DEF. Truck never went to limp home mode before I got it to dealer despite exceeding the mileage threshold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. Had the seat belt pre-tensioner recall taken care of and the TPMS relearn handled. Asked about the DEF level being stuck at 24% for the past 2 weeks/500 miles. Told me I would have to bring it back during the week so they could force a regen. First I have heard of a regen fixing a stuck DEF gauge. They also said that forcing a regen can take as long as 3 hours. We'll see. Not sure what I am going to do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jumped in the truck this morning at -4c. Checked the def level and it still said 28%. Drove about a 1/2km and decided to check it again. Said OK. I think I am going to grab another 2.5gal jug tomorrow and put it in and shouldn't see the 30% until temps are warm again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts