Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys who have been driving and plowing this deep snow been having problems with braking?

My inlaws were out of town last week and I had to drive throught 18-36" of drifted snow to get to their house and tractor to clear the driveway. I did notice that the wheels were packed full of snow, and when i was on the highway the other day when I braked it pulled to the right. Now that the snow has melted from the wheel area no more pulling to the right.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I have issues were snow will build up on the parking brake cable something fierce and then start sagging yanking the cable and applying the parking brake. Actualy happens fairly frequently to me. Never had an issue with it messing with the actual brake pads and calipers though

·
Registered
340 Posts
Even though it straitened out a basic caliper service would not hurt. In our area we have found that a good cleaning and lubricating of caliper slides and pad mounting points greatly increases brake life and braking efficiency.

If you are a (diy) guy its pretty strait forward.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott2500hd;1602711; said:
Even though it straitened out a basic caliper service would not hurt. In our area we have found that a good cleaning and lubricating of caliper slides and pad mounting points greatly increases brake life and braking efficiency.

If you are a (diy) guy its pretty strait forward.
Thats the plan for this spring. Unless I get my garage cleaned out sooner. The truck came from nevada, and this is the first winter with all the salt for the truck. Plan on pulling the wheels and calipers off when I can get my aircompressor out of storage.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Very common. Once the brakes are up to operating temp, it'll melt right off. Mine have been caked in snow and ice for going on a month now. We have a problem with the fleet at work as well.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yep, with the recent snow I had this problem after plowing my way into my house. Truck set for 4 hours and went back out to plow and didn't have much for brakes for a couple of miles. I rode the brake a little and that did the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts