Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sad to say that there has been a death in the family. I almost shed a tear today I walked into the shop and on the floor sat not 1 but 2 blown dmax's. I had to go sit in the office for a while after that. we have had a few calls for rebuilt dmax's but never had to rebuild one yet, now I have 2 sitting on the floor of my shop. Oh well it was only a matter of time. will get the rebuilt and back on the road by next week.

Shawn

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
It's a sad day today-

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
How did they blow up?

How many miles?

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Good catch Mac, typo on my part. I was simply curious what he was going to do for rebuild parts, not a jab at spelling....hehe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
get the sleeves from Napa or Grangier My father in law is the owner of the shop and yes the MOTORS will get rebuilt. I run the boring bar and will bore them out and put a sleeve in the MOTORS. Then the ENGINE assembly man will reassemble the MOTORS for delivery to whom ever would like to buy them. The MOTORS were a pot luck draw in the weekly core MOTOR drop off at the shop. Have a great day.

Shawn

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
get the sleeves from Napa or Grangier My father in law is the owner of the shop and yes the MOTORS will get rebuilt. I run the boring bar and will bore them out and put a sleeve in the MOTORS. Then the ENGINE assembly man will reassemble the MOTORS for delivery to whom ever would like to buy them. The MOTORS were a pot luck draw in the weekly core MOTOR drop off at the shop. Have a great day.

Shawn
Good luck :eek::

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do plan to replace the hardend inlays in the top of the cylinder, they are there for a reason. Arn't they.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HP here's the plan of attack
1. get duramax block off shelf
2. wire brush top and take a looksy inside
3. if hardened inlay is present will try as long as I dont go 0.030 over
4. unless you have better advice we havent done one of these yet.

help would be appreciated thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I was curious about your sleeving comment, Shawn, I don't think anyone has sleeved a DMax as far as I know (which isn't that far, actually - but I would have remembered hearing or reading about it). The DMax cylinder bores are induction hardened - one of the unique features of the engine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eric will try to call you sometime today. I am at the fire station today so maybe tomorrow. Have a great day.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
doues anybody make .030-.060 pistons?
he is boring them so he can sleeve them not to get more CUBIC INCHES so new stock pistons will go back in them

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I remember hearing somewhere that they couldnt be rebuilt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts