Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had all 8 injectors replaced last month at 43K. On a trip just after, engine started smoking, running rough, knocking on one side and then copiously leaking fuel when running. Had the truck flatbed towed 250 mi. back to dealer. Service guy said one injector went bad, but then said the tech broke injector hold down bolt off in the head during the work. After 8 days at the shop, I got truck back with invoice showing they used Barr's stop leak during the repair. BTW they also changed lube oil and filter. I asked service writer why they used stop-leak and he said it's a routine preventive measure. I asked if the cooling system had been leaking and was told "No." They didn't list stop-leak on the invoice when they replaced all 8 injectors, so why now? Do I need to worry about this? Anything else I can/should do? :help2:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
some people do use stuff like that for cheap insurance. they should have used the gm cooling seal tabs not barrs leaks. some cadillacs it is mandatory to use them when changing coolant. I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would never put that stuff in my truck and demand that they do a complete flush to get it out. That stuff makes a mess through out the engine and radiator with some kind gooey stuff. It cannot possibly be good inside that radiator.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:exactly:

jim

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I used that stuff to seal a leak in the radiator I pump hot water through to heat my garage. Sealed the leak up okay, but when spring came and I tore down the system for maintenance it was a royal mess. Hoses were sludged up and the pump looked terrible. I decided I would never put the stuff in my car after that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
gm coolant tablets work well. just dont use too many!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i would contact GM reg service rep, i have seen engine heads worp from clogging, i think dexron a/f has leak inhibitor mixed in which causes clogging when air get in to system. have him inspect coolant and have receipts, that is not proper fix. think pellets where for 6.5's(they are not barr's stop leak). i would be mad if they did that to my truck. GM dealer back home in 70's had monte carlo with posi(l/s) would ratchet, took it in 3 times last time locked up, contacted reg rep, pulled cover off and sawdust and lube poured out. last service tech was fired for not following service procedures. they are going to cost gm as well as you.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd get ahold of a GM service rep and tell him you are very concerned that your dealer used that stufff.
CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE

How to get Customer Assistance
1. Discuss your concern with dealership management.
2. If the matter cannot be resolved by the dealership without further help, use the 800 numbers below to contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center with the following information:
  • Your name and daytime telephone number
  • Make, model and year of vehicle
  • Name of your dealer
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) if possible
  • Brief description of your concern
Find 800 numbers for any of the following:
Buick
Cadillac
Chevrolet
GM Canada
GMC

GM Mobility
Oldsmobile
Pontiac
Saturn
Buick Customer Assistance 1-800-521-7300 TDD* 1-800-832-8425
Cadillac Customer Assistance 1-800-458-8006 TDD* 1-800-TDD-9935
Chevrolet Customer Assistance 1-800-222-1020 TDD* 1-800-833-2438
GM Canada Customer Assistance</B> (in Canada only) English
French 1-800-263-3777
1-800-263-7854 TDD* 1-800-263-3830
GMC Customer Assistance 1-800-462-8782
GM Mobility Customer Assistance 1-800-323-9935 TDD* 1-800-833-9935
Oldsmobile Customer Assistance 1-800-442-6537 TDD* 1-800-833-6537
Pontiac Customer Assistance 1-800-762-2737 TDD* 1-800-833-7668
Saturn Customer Assistance 1-800-553-6000 TDD* 1-800-833-6000
*TDD is for Hearing Impaired.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had all 8 injectors replaced last month at 43K. On a trip just after, engine started smoking, running rough, knocking on one side and then copiously leaking fuel when running. Had the truck flatbed towed 250 mi. back to dealer. Service guy said one injector went bad, but then said the tech broke injector hold down bolt off in the head during the work. After 8 days at the shop, I got truck back with invoice showing they used Barr's stop leak during the repair. BTW they also changed lube oil and filter. I asked service writer why they used stop-leak and he said it's a routine preventive measure. I asked if the cooling system had been leaking and was told "No." They didn't list stop-leak on the invoice when they replaced all 8 injectors, so why now? Do I need to worry about this? Anything else I can/should do? :help2:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's standard procedure for many shops, I've never heard of it hurting anything.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
GM's stop leak tabs are organic material, as are Bar's leaks tablets...IF they used the tablets, no big deal..
If they used the pour-in garbage....well, I'd be asking for a coolant flush...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had an injector bolt break also.
It took out the head.
I hope they checked all the bearings and turbo. Coolant in oil is very bad.
I got lucky no coolant damage.

Which injector was the problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts