Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the Edge Evo and don't want to remove it when I take it in for oil changes. I take my truck to the Chevrolet dealer near my work for convenience. BTW, they have told me thay cannot do warranty work on GMC vehicles.
My questions are:
Are the Chevy & GMC dealers computers linked togather? In other words, could the Chevy dealer black flag me on their computer, so when I go to have warranty work done at my GMC dealer they would know Im running a programmer.

Would the dealer flash my computer when its in their for the oil change for updates/TSB?

Or would the Chevy dealer not even give a crap beacuse its just in for an oil change.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I suspect that their computers are linked, and it is possible that they will check your computer.

If you don't want to change the oil yourself, is there a non-dealer shop that you can trust to do it instead?

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
GMC trucks are GM products so there isn't no reason they shouln't work on your truck. If they don't write or call GM

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Yes they are all linked and a GMC dealer can do warantee work on your chevy and vice vrsa. They dont like to and GM dosnt like em too but they can. Once its outa warantee no one cares were you take your stuff. I had the GMC dealer in my town work on my chevy becasue I told em I didnt want the Cevy dealer touching my truck.

I would yank the juice.

They can and may do any updates etc but I would assume they would ask you. But they could do it if they wanted. They also could black flag you if they wanted. But they probably figure they will STFU becasue that would mean you would never be thier customer again. But who knows....i wouldnt trust em.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
ratlover;1565286; said:
Yes they are all linked and a GMC dealer can do warantee work on your chevy and vice vrsa. They dont like to and GM dosnt like em too but they can. Once its outa warantee no one cares were you take your stuff. I had the GMC dealer in my town work on my chevy becasue I told em I didnt want the Cevy dealer touching my truck.
I had the GMC dealer here do some warranty work on my Chevy because they're only 1/2 mile from my home. The Chevy dealer where I bought my truck is 12 miles away. But both dealerships are owned by the same person.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That is very funny ...I seriously doubt they are going to do any TSB's unless you insist. The guy doing the oil change probably wouldn't know what a tech II is.

SOCALHD;1565138; said:
I recently installed the Edge Evo and don't want to remove it when I take it in for oil changes. I take my truck to the Chevrolet dealer near my work for convenience. BTW, they have told me thay cannot do warranty work on GMC vehicles.
My questions are:

Would the dealer flash my computer when its in their for the oil change for updates/TSB?

Or would the Chevy dealer not even give a crap beacuse its just in for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I had a GMC dealer do TSB's on my truck. Brought it in for the new filter and they did the tailgate straps without asking, and this was out of Warranty. While it was warrantied, they prefered I go to the chevy dealer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would think they wouldn't flash it without your permission seeing they don't do warranty work. You are only taking it in for a oil change. I called a GMC dealer near me for warranty work but they said no take it to chevy. They really never gave me a answer why when I asked them. But than again why take a chance?

·
Registered
141 Posts
rtquig;1566897; said:
I had a GMC dealer do TSB's on my truck. Brought it in for the new filter and they did the tailgate straps without asking, and this was out of Warranty. While it was warrantied, they prefered I go to the chevy dealer.
there was probley a recall on those straps. dealers DO look for recall for your truck and complete the recall

Subject:Product Safety - Tailgate Support Cable #04007B - (11/21/2005)

Models:2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2000 Chevrolet CK
2000-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche
2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak
2000-2004 GMC Sierra
2003-2004 GMC TopKick

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO INCLUDE SOME 2003 AND 2004 MODEL YEAR MEDIUM DUTY VEHICLES THAT WERE MODIFIED TO INCLUDE A TAILGATE. PLEASE DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 04007A, ISSUED OCTOBER 2004.
Condition

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2000 model year Chevrolet CK, 2000-2004 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks, and 2002-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade EXT and Chevrolet Avalanche trucks, and 2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick trucks. On some of these vehicles, the galvanized steel tailgate support cables that retain the tailgate in the full open (horizontal) position may corrode, weaken, and eventually fracture. If one cable fractures, the remaining cable may retain the tailgate in a horizontal position. However, if the remaining cable is sufficiently weakened by corrosion, it could fracture within moments of the first cable fracturing, especially if there is a load on the tailgate. If both cables fracture, the tailgate would suddenly drop and strike the top surface of the rear bumper. Anyone sitting or standing on the tailgate when both cable fracture could be injured by falling from the tailgate. On vehicles that have had the bumper removed, the tailgate may drop even lower. Additionally, if there is cargo on the tailgate, the cargo may become unstable and fall if the support cables fracture.
Correction

Dealers are to replace the galvanized support cables with stainless steel support cables. In addition, dealers are to inspect the tailgate hinge and replace it, if necessary.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I get my warranty work on my GMC done at a Chev dealer. They have never said anything about taking it to GMC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts