Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You got to love this.
Took truck in and the found that my EGR has failed open.
Can't get a EGR for 4 days and the gasket is on national back order till March 28th. I showed them them info on the BP and they said if I can get one they would install it for me.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You got to love this.
Took truck in and the found that my EGR has failed open.
Can't get a EGR for 4 days and the gasket is on national back order till March 28th. I showed them them info on the BP and they said if I can get one they would install it for me.

If your EGR has "failed to open" why would they want to put a plate in - it's already blocked. Now if it's "failed and in the open position" that would be a different story.

Which one is it?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought they said failed in open position. If it failed to open wouldn't it be just like having the BP installed?

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
They must mean the stepper motor is failed in the open position, keeping the EGR open. Why can't they just replace the stepper motor?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry that is the part that they said was four days out. The gasket for that is on BO

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
a true mechanic can make a gasket, but it's nice that they will put in the blocker plate....need a fingers stick too!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got both from JK. Hope I won't have to install FS.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
The egr is failsafe closed. If the motor dies, open or closed, the spring closes the egr. Normally! I suppose it is possible for the stepper motor to fail exteded (open) and freeze. In this case just unbolt the motor, egr closes.

(it is possible for the egr valve itself to get stuck open, despite the spring, this has happened to one of our members, a soot related issue I believe)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts