Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I need someone's help that maybe works at the factory or a dealership. I just ordered my 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, well, it will be a while till I get it, so I was in my officee just going through the brochure, reading about all my new goodies coming my way and noticed a discrepancy. When I filled out the order form in the audio section, it was an extra $300 or so for the in dash 6 disc changer on the radio. I hardly listen to CD's so I jsut took the single CD because it didn't cost any extra. However, looking through the brochure, I notice that on the SLT trim that I picked, the 6 disc in dash is standard with that trim package? Called my dealer and asked if he could check on it. I don't want to pay the extra $300 for it, but if it's already built into the price of the SLT, I'd like to have it since I'm paying for it. He calls me back the next day and says that there's an SLT1 and SLT2 package and the 6 disc in dash is only standard on the SLT2 package, and that I had ordered the SLT1?? NOw I'm no factory GM rep, but I've never heard of an SLT1 or SLT2. I know they offer and SLE1 and SLE2 trim level. Anyone know if this guy is just being a typical salesman or is there any truth to this? I thought the only level up from the SLT was the Denali. There's no mention of any derivatives of the SLT trim anywhere in the brochure, online, etc. Next question, if he doesn't know what he's talking about, will the factory override my selection and just put the 6 disc in there if it's part of the SLT package? Thanks for your help guys. I don't want to go down there and raise hell if the guy is actually telling the truth.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think he's jerking your chain! There's an WT, an SLE1 and 2, and an SLT (4SA) packages. Just checked the GMC site. He's fullashit. Go raise hell. What they may do, if you're really on top of it, is swap you out when the truck gets there. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
The (RPO US9) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible 6-disc in-dash CD changer, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control and Radio Data System (RDS) IS a $300.00 option for the SLT. It is NOT part of the SLT package. Looks like the brochure you have is WRONG.

These are the standard options for the various trim levels on the 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD out of their Order System.

WT 1SA MSRP* $32,430.00
  • Audio system: AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3 player
  • Audio system: six-speaker sound system
  • Brakes: four-wheel disc antilock
  • Climate (temperature) control: single-zone, front, manual
  • Engine: Vortec 6.0L V8 with 353 hp and 373 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Monitor: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (tire pressure monitoring does not apply to spare tire)
  • Rear axle: 3.73 ratio
  • Seat: front 40/20/40 split bench, 3 passenger; includes driver and right front passenger manual recline feature, center fold-down armrest with storage and outboard head restraints
  • Seat: rear, 60/40 split-folding, three-passenger, stadium-style bench; includes child-seat top tether anchor
  • Seating: vinyl seat trim
  • Steering: power, recirculating ball
  • Suspension Package: heavy-duty, Handling/Trailering, includes 46mm piston monotube shocks and 34mm front stabilizer bar
  • Suspension: front, independent, includes torsion bar
  • Suspension: rear, semielliptic, two-stage multileaf springs
  • Transfer case: floor-mounted shifter
  • Transmission: six-speed automatic, heavy-duty, electronically controlled with overdrive and Tow/Haul mode
  • Wheels: 16- x 6.5-inch eight-lug, painted-steel, include painted center caps
  • Cruise control
  • Door locks: power
  • Engine: Vortec 6.0L V8 with 353 hp and 373 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Mirror, inside rearview: auto-dimming with eight-point compass and outside temperature indicator
  • Mirrors, outside: power-adjustable, manual-folding, heated, Black
  • Seat controls: driver, manual-adjustable lumbar support
  • Seat: rear, 60/40 split-folding, three-passenger, stadium-style bench; includes child-seat top tether anchor
  • Seating: Select Cloth
  • Seats: front 40/20/40 split bench, 3 passenger; with adjustable outboard head restraints, driver and right front passenger manual recliners, center fold down armrest with storage and lockable storage compartment in seat cushion
  • Steering wheel: leather-wrapped with theft-deterrent locking feature
  • Suspension: Front independent, torsion bar
  • Suspension: rear, semi-elliptic, two-stage multi-leaf springs
  • Transfer Case: Electronic shift with rotary dial controls
  • Transmission: 6-speed automatic, heavy-duty electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode.
  • Wheels: 16- x 6.5-inch, eight-lug, chrome-style steel, include chrome center caps
  • Windows: power with driver's Express-Down feature
  • Foglamps: halogen
  • Seat controls: driver, six-way power-adjustable
  • Seat controls: right-front passenger, six-way power-adjustable
  • Seating: Premium Cloth seating surfaces
  • Seats: front, bucket, include six-way power driver and front passenger seat adjusters, front passenger manual recline and lumbar adjuster, adjustable outboard head restraints and storage pockets
  • Steering wheel: includes mounted audio controls
  • Transmission: 6-speed automatic, heavy duty
  • Wheels: 16- x 6.5-inch, eight-lug, polished, forged-aluminum, include chrome center caps
  • Windows: power with driver and front-passenger Express-Down feature
  • Audio system: Bose audio system, includes subwoofer located in center console
  • Mirrors, outside: power, folding and heated; include curb-tilt, integrated turn-signal indicators and driver-side auto-dimming feature
  • Seating: Ultrasoft leather-appointed seating surfaces
  • Seats: front bucket; include 10-way power driver and front passenger seat adjusters,2-way power lumbar control,power bolsters,heated seat cushions and seatbacks,2 position driver memory and adjustable outboard head restraints
  • Universal Home Remote transmitter
  • Wheels: 17- x 7.5-inch, eight-lug, bright machined aluminum
  • Windshield washer fluid system: heated

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Nothing like a honest used car salesdick, go back an smash his face

·
Registered
815 Posts
The (RPO US9) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible 6-disc in-dash CD changer, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control and Radio Data System (RDS) IS a $300.00 option for the SLT. It is NOT part of the SLT package. Looks like the brochure you have is WRONG.

These are the standard options for the various trim levels on the 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD out of their Order System.
RayMich is right about what the website tells you but ... for whatever it's worth, I suggest not relying solely on GM's consumer websites. Instead, go to the Stealer's parking lot and browse the Maroni stickers, which sometimes tell a different story.

Specifically, the US8 (single-CD) radio IS shown as standard for an SLT on the website. But the Maroni sticker for a SLT shows the US9 radio included among the list of "standard equipment" for the SLT, is described verbatum on my Maroni sticker as:
AM/FM Stereo w/6-disc CD/MP3
I found various similar issues when choosing my 2007+. The factory website's "build your own" menu isn't always identical to what you'll see on the window when they arrive from Flint.

Also, I'd relax a bit on that mix-up about SLT1 vs SLT2. He almost surely is confusing SLE with SLT. I've rarely found a sales rep on any dealer's lot that knew nearly as much about my future vehicles as I knew when I stepped onto the lot. They (most sales guys) simply don't invest the "detail time" to browse the web and study the books like we do. Your activity on this website indicates you're in a different category ... trust yourself, your own eyes and your own research, not what you hear from the Stealer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The brochure is different from what you can actually get. I ordered mine based on what the 2008 chevy book said. I ordered it with the LT2 convenience package so that I could get the curb view assist mirrors. After I get the truck it doesn't have curb view assist. looked in the owners manual and it says you have to order the adjustable pedals to get those mirrors. WTF. That wasn't even in my book. I also ordered it with the audio package so I could get the six disc and bose. All it came with was bose. You would think they could get them a little more accurate.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
RayMich is right about what the website tells you but ... for whatever it's worth, I suggest not relying solely on GM's consumer websites. Instead, go to the Stealer's parking lot and browse the Maroni stickers, which sometimes tell a different story.

Specifically, the US8 (single-CD) radio IS shown as standard for an SLT on the website. But the Maroni sticker for a SLT shows the US9 radio included among the list of "standard equipment" for the SLT, is described verbatum on my Maroni sticker as:
AM/FM Stereo w/6-disc CD/MP3
I found various similar issues when choosing my 2007+. The factory website's "build your own" menu isn't always identical to what you'll see on the window when they arrive from Flint.

Also, I'd relax a bit on that mix-up about SLT1 vs SLT2. He almost surely is confusing SLE with SLT. I've rarely found a sales rep on any dealer's lot that knew nearly as much about my future vehicles as I knew when I stepped onto the lot. They (most sales guys) simply don't invest the "detail time" to browse the web and study the books like we do. Your activity on this website indicates you're in a different category ... trust yourself, your own eyes and your own research, not what you hear from the Stealer.
The AM/FM Stereo w/6-disc CD/MP3 was part of the SLT package for the 2007 New Body Style. It is NOT part of the SLT package for 2008.

I just looked at two trucks at our local GMC dealer.

2007 Sierra SLT - the AM/FM Stereo with 6-disc CD/MP3 is part of the SLT package.

2008 Sierra SLT - the AM/FM Stereo with 6-disc CD/MP3 is a $300.00 option.

This is one of the stealth tricks GM use to raise prices, by making items that once were included in a Group package an extra cost option.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RayMich,

THanks for somewhat clearing that up, however, the problem is, that the Stealer gave me a 2008 Sierra brochure and on page 44 under the SLE/SLT Options: Heavy Duty it clearly states that the 6 disc is included on the SLT trim? WTF You would think that they would maybe have someone proofread this **** before they send it out to customers. Especially customers who do a lot of research on a tool that they use everyday and spend over $40K on!!

I did clarify to the salesman that he was not confusing SLE and SLT 1 and 2 and he said, "No, there's an SLE 1 and 2 and an SLT 1 and 2"

I'm not taking it too personally, I don't trust the salesman anyways, but I'm wondering, should I make a fuss about it or not. I'll probably wait till it comes in and see if it is included, the factory might just override the order and go ahead and put the 6 disc in and then it won't be an issue I guess? Maybe I'm giving the factory too much credit??

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I guess, at this point I would wait and see how the trucks gets built. If the 6-Disc CD changer is part of the SLT package, GM will put it in. They no longer give the dealer the ability to delete an option from a marketing package like they used to back in the 70's and 80's. So if in fact it is part of the package, it will be there when you get the truck.

You might also take a spin through some of the dealer lots and see if you can find a 2008 SLT and see what comes standard with it. If the 6-Disc CD is an option, it will have a $300 price next to it on the window sticker.

The other thing is, you might want to ask the salesman to show you in his order book where GM shows what is different between SLT-1 ans SLT-2.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Go here:
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?year=2008&regionID=1&divisionID=2

and select the exact model you are ordering. THIS is the definitive guide on options and packages. The sales brochures aren't accurate, and even have a disclaimer saying they're not... and the website is a joke when you try to "build your truck."

Looking at the printbook for "equipment groups with additional options" from the above link, it would appear that the 6-CD radio is an option. On my 2008 3500 the sticker shows it was an option and was $300.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Go here:
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?year=2008&regionID=1&divisionID=2

and select the exact model you are ordering. THIS is the definitive guide on options and packages. The sales brochures aren't accurate, and even have a disclaimer saying they're not... and the website is a joke when you try to "build your truck."

Looking at the printbook for "equipment groups with additional options" from the above link, it would appear that the 6-CD radio is an option. On my 2008 3500 the sticker shows it was an option and was $300.
Here are pages from the 2007 and 2008 Order Guide.

The US9 6-disc CD Changer WAS a standard option for the 2006 and 2007 SLT Equipment Group.

But it is now a $300 option for the 2008 SLT Equipment Group.

Pretty sneaky way to raise prices. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gotta love how the stealers try and screw you any chance they get!:mad:

·
Registered
935 Posts
I don't see the dealer doing the screwing here. Looks more like the General himself is doing the screwing. Nothing new if you ask me. 30 yrs. 5 plants and I gtf-out so fast ya wudda thunk a bolt of lightning hit me in the arse..
Ted < retired and still getting screwed by the General

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that the Factory is a bunch of rip off Arseholes! ( i.e. $2300 for a non upgradeable Nav system with limited features and this whole radio BS ) and that the salesmen just don't take the time to learn about these trucks to even know half as much as who they're selling them too. They're too busy trying to get their next smoke break or cup of coffee so they can have that paralyzingly horrible car salesdick breath when they're trying to negotiate with you! Maybe it's a negotiating tactic to get you to give up faster!!! :p:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts