Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I jumped in the truck and cranked it on. CEL came on. CTS2 read a P133E code but could not clear it. I was on my way out of town that day so no time to deal with the dealership. Fortunately the truck ran and drove fine, but I had this in the back of my mind the whole time I was gone. Came back that Monday and went to see the dealer. Yep, bad glow plug (#7). Covered under the powertrain warranty so nothing out of pocket (I was at 59200 miles when I took it in). It had been a long time since I had a CEL. The last time was around 6K miles when they finally replaced a NOx sensor that kept causing the CEL to come on. Aside from that and losing the cluster at 33K, the truck has done well. Figured I'd throw this up there for those tracking issues/mileage, etc...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Pretty sure the GPCM has an update for that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like its time for you to get rid of it. :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have the same issue.
Yesterday I went to remote start, did not work, CEL. is on, off to the dealer #6 glow plug is out, again. None in stock, and on back order.
Will be trading my 2017 in for a 2020 in a 4-5 months, this has been a bad truck for me.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Maybe it's the connector to the glow plug -- some others have found the connector(s) were the real problem after changing out several plugs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
i was actually getting randam glowplug codes for a while. ended up actually being the cts2 for some reason. i updated that and have never had another glowplug code.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know I'm in the wrong forum, but i am going to buy another truck so... Anyways, I kept getting those codes in my '08, and off to the dealer until it was out of warranty and then I changed all of them to a better glow plug. Never had a problem after that. Truck is at 246k miles.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I know I'm in the wrong forum, but i am going to buy another truck so... Anyways, I kept getting those codes in my '08, and off to the dealer until it was out of warranty and then I changed all of them to a better glow plug. Never had a problem after that. Truck is at 246k miles.
Please share for others. We know your not using GM Part :12679959

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Duramax keep having issues with the #7 glow plug . Dealer replaced it wasn’t long engine light was back on and now it’s back to the dealer every couple weeks

·
Registered
15 Posts
A good friend of mine just had a head replaced on his 2017 max with 52000 miles. Was in shop 7 times for glow plug issues. I just bought a new 19 and hoping the same does not happen to mine

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I’ve had this same issue on my 2017 High Country since it was 2mos old. I’ve had at least 10 glow plugs replaced and I’ve had the most recent CEL for 8mos but haven’t felt like taking it to the dealer. Has anyone figured out the real issue here?

·
Administrator
17,760 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I’ve had this same issue on my 2017 High Country since it was 2mos old. I’ve had at least 10 glow plugs replaced and I’ve had the most recent CEL for 8mos but haven’t felt like taking it to the dealer. Has anyone figured out the real issue here?
There have been a few harness and pigtail issues. You might inspect those really well

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Connectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told today that I need 2 glow plugs replaced (Check Engine Light on and codes read two plugs bad). I told them to go ahead and replace them... Nope... Very reliable diesel mechanic told me that you can't just replacene or two... If you replace 1 you should replace all... Otherwise, you will constantly have bad glow plugs.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I was told today that I need 2 glow plugs replaced (Check Engine Light on and codes read two plugs bad). I told them to go ahead and replace them... Nope... Very reliable diesel mechanic told me that you can't just replacene or two... If you replace 1 you should replace all... Otherwise, you will constantly have bad glow plugs.
Nonsense.

·
Administrator
17,760 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

A good mechanic will want to replace all the glows out of habit. ( they were installed all at the same time from the factory.. so if one goes the others probably are not far behind)
It may not be necessary to replace all but you're in there and you might as well save yourself the hassle of getting a code later on because other glows have eventually failed.

Reactions: budvoss

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
My LML was purchased new and had one replaced (iirc, it was in the first year of ownership).
When traded 3/4 years later it was still the one that had been replaced.

Truck lived outside, block heater never used (cord never even unwrapped).
Lots of 0*F starts every winter.
Truck started at least 8 -10 times every day.

One random failure does not mean they are all going to fail -- but suggesting so is a good way to sell parts and services.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts