Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 6.2 burb abruptly died tonight. Was doing 70 on highway. I was able to pull over and get it restarted. Turned around to head home (I had the kids, had almost reached the drive-in theater). Theater is about 20 miles from my house. Drove about 2-5 mins, died again. Did this over and over until I got to about 3-4 miles from home. It would not fire up again. Called AAA, got towed home.

When it died, it does abruptly. Instantly. Has to be a fuel delivery issue.

I suspect that the mechanical lift pump died. It held on intermittently at the end (allowing me to make it most of the way home), then quit for good.

Other possibility: badly clogged fuel sock in fuel tank.

Note: when this began tonight, the WATER IN FUEL light briefly illuminated. Earlier this week I added a normal amount of Lucas fuel treatment to the tank. Not likely to be related to the problem (?). Done it before plenty of times. Could the Lucas finish off an old/dying mechanical fuel pump?

My fuel gauge is very wrong (registered full, was less than 1/2 full). It has always been correct until now. Could this be related to a fuel sock clogging issue.

Also, my manual glow plug button stopped working. The GPs function as intended (fire on a cold startup), but my manual button stopped working tonight when everything went to ****. How can that be related?

Thanks for your advice. I am trying to decide whether I want to attempt to replace the mechanical fuel pump. My reading indicates it is a ***** of a job for someone like me - few skills and little time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: this morning it fired up immediately. I cut it off. How does that change your analysis?

I will change fuel filter and prime the system. If successful, this will confirm: 1) good fuel lift pump; and 2) good injection (big) pump. Right?

·
Administrator
15,951 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE again: I spoke too soon.

Vehicle idles just fine. When I give it any throttle, it dies immediately. Lift pump.is fine. No air in injection pump (clear tube on front is fine).

Any ideas?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,741 Posts
What tests are you doing to rule out the lift pump?

If you have the square box fuel filter on the firewall, open the bleeder and crank it over.
Fuel should shoot out and hit the hood.

Reactions: JCDiesel

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: I can't get it to cut off/die anymore! I added a good quart of Howe's to a full tank of new diesel. Rocked vehicle back/forth to "mix" fuel and additive. Let it idle for an hour. Yesterday put in new fuel filter. I will let it cool down, then do "idle test" again. If passes, will test drive it.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Sounds like a restriction. Try running it and loosening the fuel cap. Excessive vacuum will cause issue. You may have treated enough to loosen up some snot on the in tank strainer (sock) The only thing that puzzles me a little is that the truck was cutting out abruptly instead of surging or puttering out otherwise sounds like fuel starved. If this were my truck I would start with changing out the strainer AC TS1012 Part number. Its a no fun job unless the tank is somewhat low on fuel. Also vent the fuel cap if its questionable. Theres a easy mod in the faq.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Hmmm ... it takes a pretty bad supply of fuel to kill these engines cause they are happy with anything over 1 psi at the IP inlet all the time cause they have an internal lift pump in the IP.

It could be a gasser fuel cap or a failed IP, governor failure to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts