Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger side burns out in about three days, I've tried both the 4157 and the 4114 in clear. Any idea's? I've heard that running a single element bulb last longer, also heard the amber 4157's last longer (can't imagine why?).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i have silverstar 3157/4157 and havent had one burn out yet, they are amber tho. i beleive i read somewhere that gm recommended running the 4157 as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Examine the socket. It will be melted and the pins will be corroded. Get a new socket from the stealer and crimp it in, problem solved. Because a 3157 or 4157, by design, was never intended to remain lit on the bright filament, the economy plugs will melt over time.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My pass side dies too soon also. I just pulled the fuse until I can get a new socket when the weather warms up.

Someone in another thread mentioned that they had a wire chaffing somewhere and that the socket swap did nothing. Since mine didn't burn out immediately, I wondered if that was my problem also.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I've been running amber 4157 for years now with 2 different trucks. The 4157's seem to be lasting much longer. My GMC however, did get the plastic hot enough to start to whiten the lense. I tried to run LED's with my 07 and they were bright but the beam was not using the mirror at all so all you had was a tiny, dime sized beam of light that kinds defeated the purpose of having lights on in the first place. I have pics of the LED's in my garage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts