Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing a cloudy like build-up on the reflector portion of the daytime driving lights. How do you wipe it off??

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Like a foggy buildup or more of a solid? If it is just condensation you can take care of that..........

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I have it too. I thought it was from running amber bulbs. I guess it isnt cause alot of people have them. I also got it on my 04 GMC. I dont even run them when its bright and sunny out either...

Its not condensation either...Its from the heat I assume.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Nick, my guess is the base of the bulb. look at this picture of my factory one. Looks like it heated up to the point of smoking at one time.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Hmmm, mine have a whiteish, cloudy look to them..:(
I was thinkin maybe a low watt hir would work in there..??? :D

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Nick, my guess is the base of the bulb. look at this picture of my factory one. Looks like it heated up to the point of smoking at one time.
Now that you said something about it possibly smoking, that's what I bet it is.

Like how smokers' windshields haze up alot faster on the inside VS people who don't smoke. I bet that's what's happening, the base of the bulb or socket is getting so hot it smolders a lil bit.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Yup, ran through a set of those too....How could I forget..I spent $25 on those but turned around and sold them the next day for 20 bucks...

My amber bulbs are burned pretty good too...The mirror reflector is actually turning white...I assume its from the heat but I dont even run them all the time. I always turn them off on bright sunny days...(havent seen a bright sunny day since summertime)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Another thing that I thought was when you get condensation in them and dont get it out, the moisture in them heats up and burns the plastic. I actually had this happen in 2 sets of mine. I took the old ones and got them wet and then I let them run on for a while and they actually got really worse so I believe that is one cause of this also.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Up until recently, my truck never saw the rain, let alone snow and such. Mine never had moisture in them. If I take a Q-tip, I can wipe the ''fog'' off. I tend to believe it is residue from the plastic base smoking/smoldering. Note the lens picture I posted shows only fogging in the top half. Heat (smoke) rises. Yes I've had other vehicles with the moisture issue you describe, but mine (pictured) didn't have any moisture issues.

On a side note, I'm running 3156 bulbs now. The one size lower lumens bulb has to run slightly cooler. Is it enough to stop the fogging of the lens? Probably not, but what is one to do?

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Mines exactly like yours....Turning white toward the top..

Have you tried amber bulbs?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Amber filament or LED bulbs? No to either.

And the reason for running amber instead of clear is?

Just curious.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Same reason people run amber fogs or aftermarket driving lights I guess...

I think amber looks so much better. It sets it apart and makes the truck kinda unique, all for spending 2 bucks for a set of bulbs.

I found a set of plastic bulbs, amber lense, that didnt scar nearly as bad when used all the time. They're el cheapo's but seem to last forever.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Daytime driving lights on these trucks are not worth much. On the long stretches of hwy you'll see the oncomming vehicle before you see the lights. Best thing is just to turn the headlights on when you're on the road.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Same reason people run amber fogs or aftermarket driving lights I guess...

I think amber looks so much better. It sets it apart and makes the truck kinda unique, all for spending 2 bucks for a set of bulbs.

I found a set of plastic bulbs, amber lense, that didnt scar nearly as bad when used all the time. They're el cheapo's but seem to last forever.
Are they LEDs or filament bulbs? I'm assuming if you spent $2 on them, they are of the filament type. When you say ''scar'' do you mean fog the clear lens?

I may talk to my parts guy at NAPA. I would like to try a set of ambers and at a lower lumens.

Daytime driving lights on these trucks are not worth much. On the long stretches of hwy you'll see the oncomming vehicle before you see the lights. Best thing is just to turn the headlights on when you're on the road.
Agreed. ''True'' daytime running lights would be of better quality. This crap installed on our trucks I believe is a federally mandated thing, so naturally, they installed the ''bare minimum allowed by law''. These are practically the same bulbs used for back-up lighting. True driving lights would be more powerful at projecting light.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
2 bucks isnt gonna get you much...I've had it with LED's and wont do that again. That link I posted I put pictures in there and, well, complete waste of money...

Filament bulbs are fine. Anything on all the time is gonna generate heat. I just think amber looks so much better.

Also DRL's are not a federally mandated thing...At least not yet anyways...Canada yes, US, no. If it was, every car on the road would have them. Many automakers today do use them now, many brands more than 2 or 3 years ago. I believe its an option on Fords and Chrysler products as it is.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
can the socket be rewired to run the bulb on the low side? ( pull the wire & terminal out and put in the low side)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts