Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't figured out to turn my day time running lights on. The dim night time lights come on t instead. have 2003 GMC. Anybody know the routine for turning them on. The ones in my book don't work. Thanks. Edited by: Bill Gisse

·
Registered
235 Posts
Bill -

They are hard wired and there is nothing provided for the owner to have any control, that I am aware of. If they are not working, something is broken (fuse, relay, wiring, or connectors) or mis-wired. BUT it sounds like they may be working. Somebody more knowledgable than me can tell you for sure, but some model/year/vehicles used the low-beam dimmed as running lights.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Bill Gisse said:
Haven't figured out to turn my day time running lights on. The dim night time lights come on t instead. have 2003 GMC. Anybody know the routine for turning them on. The ones in my book don't work. Thanks.
Its AUTOMATIC...

Simply placing the gear selector OUT of PARK will turn the DRL's on. If they don't come on with that, and your parking brake is OFF, then you either have a blown fuse or blow bulbs.

·
Registered
687 Posts
On second thought....

You mentioned "dim night time lights".

Your actual HEADLIGHTS are NOT your DRL's. You know that right?

Try adding your Year, Make, Model truck in your signature. It helps in questions like these.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ditto what Lawnboy said... you will only be able to see the day time running lights if you get someone else in your truck and take the gear selector out of park, while you watch the lights. The day time running lights are underneath the headlights, next to the turn signal light... and like what was said before, they are only activated when out of park.

Dan

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
On the 04s you can turn the DRLs on and off. But like everyone said the truck must be out of park or in gear PB off. On the 04s there are four settings for the lights....On, Parking, Auto, and spring loaded off that is marked with a circle.

Next time you are stoped a light and behind another car(that you see your DRLs) try playing with light switch, again with the truck in gear.

Once the switch has been turned to the circle, long as the truck is not turned off they will remain off all that time....even going in and out of gear. Once the truck is shut down it will reset.

Hope I am right!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all the offered help, but have to tell you I tried everything you guys have said and still my low beams come on when the DRL's should come on. The only time I can get those lights under the head lamps and next to the running lights to light is whem I enter/exit the truck and lock/unlock with the remote. Now I'm watching for other trucks to how there's look. So far I've only moticed a few 1500's and they have the DRL's lit. Talked to my deler and the Service Manager (she) says bring it in and leave it a couple days. Its a late model 2003 GMC 2500 and I'm beginning to think its supposed to be the way it is. Doesn't hurt anything so I'll probaly just leave it the way it is. Edited by: Bill Gisse

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Did u get the truck NEW or used?

Someone could have wired a jumper in.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It isn't a Canadian truck is it? Isn't that the way the Canadian trucks work....DRL's are your LOWBEAMS? Maybe I'm wrong.

New or used?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lawnboy said:
It isn't a Canadian truck is it? Isn't that the way the Canadian trucks work....DRL's are your LOWBEAMS? Maybe I'm wrong.

New or used?

Don't know if its a Canadian truck but I bought it new.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My 2003 works as described above. If yours isn't, then there is something goofy with your truck. Either wired wrong from the factory, or possibly a Canadian truck shipped to the states.

Does anyone know if you can tell from the VIN if the truck was made for use in Canada?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Canadian trucks work the same as yours. Daytime running lights are seperate from high and low beam.

Bill Gisse, it sounds like you have a faulty light sensor. The truck thinks that it is dark out so it turns the headlights on as soon as you start the truck.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Max Power said:
Canadian trucks work the same as yours. Daytime running lights are seperate from high and low beam.

Bill Gisse, it sounds like you have a faulty light sensor. The truck thinks that it is dark out so it turns the headlights on as soon as you start the truck.

Would a faulty light sensor cause the DRL's not to work.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes. It makes it think its nightime. DRL's don't work when its dark.

Thats most likely the problem.

Good diagnosis Max Power.

Bill, you don't have a bunch of trash on your dashboard, do you?

I've seen a lot of construction "work" trucks that the dash never sees the light of day due to all the "Paperwork" that sits on it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You will know if you have a Canuck truck because the pressures will all look like they are insane 275 plus and the temperatures will seem awfully low for those used to the psi dgf scales, and if you look at the speedo the big numbers will make it look like your going REALLY FAST!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
NoWake200 said:
On the 04s you can turn the DRLs on and off. But like everyone said the truck must be out of park or in gear PB off. On the 04s there are four settings for the lights....On, Parking, Auto, and spring loaded off that is marked with a circle.

Once the switch has been turned to the circle, long as the truck is not turned off they will remain off all that time....even going in and out of gear. Once the truck is shut down it will reset.
I never knew if my lights were working or not either... I kept playing w/the dial like a fool, not really knowing what i was doing...But that explains it perfectly....Thats also the light setup on 03 chevys to...
Question 1- I got a little push button right next to the dial that looks like it has the high beam light icon above it. what does it control??? I havent touch this one...
Question 2- Will the roof top cleance lights only come on at night time and w/the button pushed? -Adam

·
Registered
149 Posts
The button next to the headlight switch turns off your interior light door switches so the truck stays dark when you open the door. Canadian DRL's are the same as US. The only differance on the two systems is that the Canadian trucks can't have they're headlights turned off by the manual light switch at night. The light sensor theory and/or stuff on the dash covering it up is what to look for.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes the first digit of the vin 1 is US 2 canadian 3 Mexico ask your salesman at your dealer he will know.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
army said:
The button next to the headlight switch turns off your interior light door switches so the truck stays dark when you open the door. Canadian DRL's are the same as US. The only differance on the two systems is that the Canadian trucks can't have they're headlights turned off by the manual light switch at night. The light sensor theory and/or stuff on the dash covering it up is what to look for.

on mine, the button can turn off the DRL by pushing it four times quickly. Ring and then off. Can still use to control the dome light. DRL resets when ignition is off. Found this in the manual.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts