Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had one speedo light go out on Monday and the other on Thursday. Dealer says bulbs not replaceable, need to get new cluster to the tune of $285!!! I find this hard to take so I'm going to do some surgery tommorow, got some good clues from Mackin! I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

B.T.W. Called 1-800-*****, just to *****, it didn't help!!!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Your not under warranty anymore? You should be able to change the bulb but you might have to do some soldering.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No more warranty, truck at 52,000, no extended warranty. Yeah, I need to take one bulb out and match it up to something. I WILL figure this out, now it's a quest!! $285 FOR A STUPID BULB!!!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
If you can't find what your looking for post a picture. I have quite a few 12v bulbs around that would likely be very similar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Max, I might have to do that. I had the cluster out but didn't pull the needles to access the bulbs, but peeking under the guage face they look like 3/16" dia pigtail bulbs, but they might be LED's. I took the cluster out in the dealer's parking lot and brought it into the parts guy and he had no clue. If I could find out the vendor that makes the cluster for GM I could always contact them... but that's probably a big secret!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't feel too bad.
My 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible had several lights go out on the radio last fall. Dealer reported that to replace they would have to send the unit to California for repair to the tune of $75-100.
THANKFULLY, I found another dealer the would order a package of the little light bulbs from the repair center in CA. Eight bulbs for almost $30, but no down time and I now have a few extra bulbs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try an AC/Delco shop. I have gotten a few parts for the cluster on my old truck from them that the dealer said they couldn't get.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success!!! Pulled needles off cluster after taking picture of needle positions, removed guage face,removed printed circuit board . Illumination bulbs are just that, bulbs, no numbers but measure 3/8" long, 3/16" dia, set into little plastic square base where the pigtails from the bulb come up around the bulb, over the outside corners of the base and are soldered to the board. Radio Shack didn't carry an exact replacement so I opted for an E5 threaded base pn 272-358 and an E5 threaded base bulb pn 272-1143. (in case I have to go through this again I can just screw in a new bulb) I trimmed the bases down to make them as short as possible and the solder points lined up pretty well with the points on the board. The exact bulb is probably the best way to go but this will do for now. The bulbs are a little brighter but I doubt anyone else would notice. The height of the new bulb in it's socket is twice as high off the circuit board (1/2" vs 1/4"), this puts the bulb much closer to the clear plastic light diffuser that sits just below the guage face so melting might be a factor, we'll see. I had the lights on for 5 minutes and the bulbs didn't feel real hot. Took pictures of the whole deal but I need a little guidance on how to post them or create a link etc.

Now for things not to do: don't forget and leave the key on in the truck and take the whole family to the mall for 2 hours...the batteries will go dead. Don't try to shortcut the needle position proceedure by marking the guage face with soapstone at the point where the needles stop on counter-clockwise rotation while not first making sure the guages are seated properly in the cluster! (good thing I took a picture of the needle postions with eng cold, key on...Thanks Mac!!) Finally, make sure the bulbs are screwed all the way in or at least have the good sense to test the lights before you put the whole stupid cluster back together and then have to take it all apart again!! I've always had a tendency to learn things the hard way... don't expect to change in the near future!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congratulations on beating the system!

One of my radio lights was dimmer than the others and the dealer replaced the radio. I think it's pretty stupid to use incandescent bulbs where they are not replacable. But saving a few nickles here and there adds up to a few dollars per vehicle!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For anyone that's intereseted, here's pictures of the dash surgery, along with bulb size. http://community.webshots.com/album/130441989NoeIar I'm guessing the candlepower is about .4, because these radio shack bulbs are .5 and they are a little bright. Also it seems the bulbs have come loose because the don't work anymore when it's cold, so I'll have to go back in and seal the bulbs in their sockets with nail polish or silcone.Edited by: Dr Crane

1 - 10 of 10 Posts