Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

For the past 3 weeks I have been experiencing a problem. The little battery light on my dash is glowing red. It is very faint at times and a little brighter at other times. I do however believe it has never fully lit up? There have been no other symptoms so far. No cranking or head light brightness changes or fan motor changes. The only other thing I have noticed is when you turn the key but do not start the truck, the volt meter reads 10-11 on a cold morning. All of these symptom are only when it is cold out side and the truck has been sitting over night. Once I drive for 15 minutes the dull battery light goes away. The dealer diagnosed it as the instrument cluster and has told me it will be 10 days before they receive the part. I am going to be in some extremely cold climate for 3 days and do not want any problems. Do you think I should be worried or just weight for the instrument cluster? I sure do not want them tinkering around with my dash if it is a problem under the hood. Thanks in advance.Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
183 Posts
My battery light would stay on for maybe 6 seconds instead of the normal 3 when first started for a couple of days than no start 2 batteries no good.I would check the voltage of your batteries in the morning before you start to see where they are.They should read over 12 volts up to 12.6 if less you have a problem.Than you can check when running and should be over 14 up to 14.8?If all this checks out you have a cluster problem I would think.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have seen the same thing happen with mine. Driving down the road, minding my own business, night time, voltage at the normal level and the battery light lightly glowing. No other problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ditto for mine. Sometimes driving hundreds of miles at night, very faint glow, sometimes it will go away, but never as bright as it is after you turn on the ignition key, before you start it. Have not seen it in severals weeks. Had me worried for a while.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also had this happen once. Driving for about five minutes and the battery light came on faintly but the voltage meter was fine. The light stayed on for about another ten minutes and went out. When I had it at the dealer they said they could not reproduce it. That was a few months ago and haven't seen the light since.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

I just came back from vacation. It did not end up being very cold.

However there were no electrical problems. Today I was looking around my truck for a keyed 12 volt ignition. I pulled the underhood cover and box. I pulled the incab side of dash fuse cover. I also pulled the cover off of the relay/fuse box located on the driver side floor firewall. That is all I did. No connections no nothing.

Now my dash battery light is glowing dimly all of the time. No key no nothing? I started the truck and shut it back off. The battery light stayed on? I can not tell you whether this light has alwys been on? I think it was only on before when the key was on.

Any take on how my dash battery light can stay on even with no key inserted? Any take on the best place/method of getting a keyed 12V source?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts