Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys-i've got weird colored fluid and four x four won't engage.fluid is almost black but transparent.doesn't smell burnt,no leaks underneath.truck is a 2003 3500 crew duramax 4x4 dually.:eek:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
what kind of maintenance has been done to the truck in the tranny and tcase areas. fluid changes ect

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Filter Every 30

This truck gets the oil and filter changed every 5000- the allison gets oil and filter every 30000. It's due and it's the first priority this weekend,i was just wondering if this was common or if was an indicator of something.i used to rebuild dodge transmissions by the hundreds in a factory and i never saw fluid like this.if it was dark it was burnt and it smelled burnt.it usuallly meant that i would find a burned clutch pack in there someplace.this looks more like maybe it got contaminated by something else.i'll check the tranaxle this weekend too.:eek::

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
should be changing the allison spin-on filter every 5-10K

i would change the fluid, then stay on top of your filter changes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can not go by the color of the trans fluid as an indicator. It darkens over time. Is the transfer case electronic or manual?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Transaxle Trouble

Transaxle is electronic-it acts normal as if nothing is wrong so there's no clues there.this truck gets 100 miles a day at least 4 days a week as a comuter to work.on weekends it gets to go to work pulling tractors and sawmills and the like in four wheel drive country.i'll change that spin on alot more often-probably do it with the oil change.what kind of fluid goes into the transaxle?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
transfer case you mean.

it takes ATF. dex3, synthetic-whatever. transynd probably the best stuff.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
GM has a TSB saying just because the fluid is dark, it doesn't mean anything is wrong. I never heard of ATF getting dark, unless it got hot, but I'm not a mechanic.
The dark color might have been a transyand thing. I haven't noticed the color change with mine. I'll be changing to Torque drive this spring. Time will tell.

·
Registered
97 Posts
nosliw;1576154; said:
should be changing the allison spin-on filter every 5-10K

i would change the fluid, then stay on top of your filter changes.

Changing the spin on filter every 5-10k is absolutely ridiculous. There is no reason for it. You are doing the right thing by waiting every 30k.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Have an oil anaylsis done ASAP. It will tell you if there's a problem with the oil, sometimes additives fall out, will also tell you if there's any possible damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil Analysis

I didn't know you could actually get an oil analysis-who provides this service? filter and oil is getting handled in the morning,i'll save some fluid for the test. How much fluid does the transfer case hold,man i really need to find me a good service manual.thanks guys:eek::

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I get my oil analyzed at the local CAT dealer. It only cost $12 and I found that I had a bad injector before I filled the pan with diesel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts