Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im finnaly redoing the front end totaly in my 86 K3500, which hasn't had anything major done to it sence it was new. It needs or I am just replacing the front springs, steering gear box, brake rotors and calipers, wheel berings, all new seals, upper and lower king pins and bearings, axle u joints. and some paint. Sorry didn't think to take pics and put on here until i already had it pretty much ripped all apart, but I will get more once I start getting the parts I have out for cleaning and putting stuff back together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres the broken stuff I have found so far.

Cracked roller in a wheel bearing

Bent/cracked bushing for upper king pin

Rusted/pitted lower king pin bearing

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you experience any "death wobble" with all those worn parts? Be sure and replace the King pin bushings and springs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Even though the springs "look fine," replace them. The pre-load on the springs has alot to do with controling death wobble. I have the axles out of an '85 CUCV under my slightly modified ;) '90 Jimmy and didn't experience the dreaded "death wobble" until started running 38's. After a lot of experimenting, I tried a trick I learned on ColoradoK5.com, I put in a couple of fender washers on top of the kin pin springs and it solved my death wobble problems. I assumed that if this solved the problem, the springs were worn and compressed. When compared to new springs, the old ones were almost 3/8" shorter than the new ones.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Check the knuckles for cracks around the king pins area. Have seen them crack under hard abuse "4 wheeling".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.