Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Finally pick up our new trailer next weekend. Put four lithium batteries in the trailer.

Have heard that charging lithiums by hotwire could/would damage alternators.

Any thoughts to this? Will ask more questions at trailer dealer, but expect stupid looks.....

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts
Hey all. Finally pick up our new trailer next weekend. Put four lithium batteries in the trailer.

Have heard that charging lithiums by hotwire could/would damage alternators.

Any thoughts to this? Will ask more questions at trailer dealer, but expect stupid looks.....
There are some cautions to watch out for.
Victron put out a good article on this issue:

Reactions: firestopper

·
Banned
aka Diesail
21 Posts
Yes, you can cause damage if connected directly to a large lithium battery as you risk overloading the alternator. But the circuit to the trailer is fused at 30 amps so you need not worry. If you are going to expect to charge the batteries fully though, you should look at a DC to DC battery charger which will give you the correct voltages and charging curve to your lithium batteries.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys.

We will have solar on the trailer. Kinda makes me think I should take my fuse out for my hotwire untill I get things figured out.

What would I need to be able to charge from the alternator without damage? Would be handy for travelling at night or in rainy overcast conditions.

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts
Thanx guys.

We will have solar on the trailer. Kinda makes me think I should take my fuse out for my hotwire untill I get things figured out.

What would I need to be able to charge from the alternator without damage? Would be handy for travelling at night or in rainy overcast conditions.
If you are going to have Solar then your system should be equipped with a BMS ( battery management system ) This is what monitors the electrical current to/from the batteries.
A quality BMS is needed to watch for any irregularities, protect the system, and will notify you of a problem.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will find out more when we get the trailer on the weekend.

Found some videos about running wires/fuses and having a DC to DC charger.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx guys. We get the trailer “delivered” to us tomorrow then have a 5 hour drive home. We have Go Power components installed. And the tech and parts guy are coming into work specially for our delivery. So will ask questions tomorrow.

Reactions: Mahi-Man
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.