Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just returned from Iraq, and have time to work on the truck. For the past 2 years, I've had a problem with hard starts (only when hot), surging, and occasional stalling. Lately, my fiancee' has been complaining of it stalling while sitting in traffic...otherwise, the truck runs GREAT!!! I couldn't fix because I was in Iraq. Before I got home, I ordered a new PMD, and have since put it on (remote mounted between the grill and custom brushguard.) I still have the problem with surging, and have ran the codes...I've got DTC 35 and 36...is this a problem with the injectors, or is it more likely the pump is quitting on me?? I bought the truck 2 years ago with 180,000 miles...it's now reading about 220,000. I know there's someone on this site who's got more experience in the matter. You have all been helpful in the past, and I'm sure you will be now. THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
i've seen those #'s on this site and from what i recall it could be the pump is going but it could also be something else. just can't remember what. and :eek:fftopic: i'd just like to say that there are people in canada that do support what the troops are doing over in iraq. me for one. i also would like to share with anyone who sends me a pm with email address. it is an excerpt from my uncles diary. it details (DNCO) Duty Not Carried Out Royal Canadian Air Force. he was the sole survivor of his bomber on the raid of dec, 29th 1944. thanx....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome home Jimmy. I am with edzzed, my family and community thank you for your service and time in Iraq. I pray those buddies you had to leave behind will make it home also. Also welcome to the site. There is a huge amount of information here and some very knowledgable people here to help us keep these great trucks running and pulling hard.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
35 & 36 indicate injection pump problems. The armature in the fuel solenoid on the back of the pump is worn causing the code.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Also check your lift pump as per the FAQ's. It's probably not going to fix your problem, but it could have caused it to happen. And you don't want to lose another pump if you change this one out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i'd just like to say that there are people in canada that do support what the troops are doing over in iraq. me for one.
+1!

edzzed- You've got a PM!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks For All The Support...it's Great Being Home. As For The Pump, Is There A Way To Rebuild It Here, Or Would I Have To Take It To A Shop?? What Are My Options Here Other Than Replacing The Pump?? Thanks Again,

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
you have to take it to the shop to rebuild the pump. it needs to be calibrated on some alien looking type of machine that us common folk don't usually have laying around. i emailed several shops asking the same thing and one sent me a pic of the machine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Edzzed...I'm relatively new to the diesel world, and like doing everything myself...I guess I have to accept that I can't do it all in the back yard myself...anyways...I suppose the next question...where is the best place to find a new pump?? Any suggestions are appreciated...

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
It looks like you are in for a pump. But before totally condemning the pump, go through all the diagnostics to eliminate any other posibilites. Lift pump can cause codes, as can air entering the fuel supply system before the IP. Hate to see you spend needless money, if you are in that category. IP's are pricey to work with, it's worse when you replace that pricey thing, and have the same problem at the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts