Diesel Place banner

Daily Driver Tuner?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  BudTX 
#1 ·
Could someone recommend a tuner for me? 04 lly that is currently stock. I'm looking at the ppe but does it have good driveability? I don't tow or anything, just want a fast truck!

#2 ·
Go with Efi-live you can't go wrong.

#3 ·
I'd go with the PPE. EFI live is good if you yu have the patience and know how, but if you want no fuss no muss raw power, just get the PPE. Hot+2 et is a 350 hp tune now for the LLY.

#4 ·
Go PPE, lower power levels good drivablity for sure. Higher the power the more jumpy it is, like any of them. But its got what you want, raw power, and normal everyday driving comfort. Thats my choice.

#5 ·
Lso, I fyou do want to run the higher tunes, a good torque converter and at least a transgo Will be needed, and a lift pump is highly recommended

#6 ·
thanks for the replys, keep them coming!

#7 ·
I have the same truck you do only in a CC. Ran 20,000 miles or so on Edge box and have just switched to PPE Hot+2. I am going to run the PPE Hot +2 until such time that one of the several vendors here come up with the ideal tune via EFI. I am not a tuner and did not want to mess with anything more complicated than copying 1 or more proven tunes for MY motor, do it with a handheld unit (not a laptop), and be able to switch on the fly amongst 3 - 4 tunes. I guess with the Edge I was somewhere in the low to mid 400's and should be higher by next weekend with the PPE, fuelers, turbo, etc.

Dyno'ing it next Saturday.

#8 ·
Is there any tuner I can run on a d-max that I don't have to spend another
$3k on upgrades? When I had my 6.0 I ran a 150hp tuner with no upgrades or problems? I thought the allison was so great? What should I do?

#10 ·
Depends how crazy you want to get with it. Even the Edge or predator will both put out more than a stock trans can handle without upgrades.
IMO it's not worth spending more on something else if you're not willing to eventually upgrade the trans.

Plus, you can always pick up a cheap used predator or edge in the marketplace.

-Chris

#11 ·
Ben46a;1572001; said:
The predator is a pretty safe tuner. I dont think youd hurt anything if you kept it on 85 hp or under.

85hp is kinda pushing it since there are members running into limp on that tune. The 65hp tune is a safer tune if your truck is stock.

I am using the predator on 40hp tune for daily driving and its been pretty good so far.

#12 ·
so would it be dumb to get the ppe, run it on the low setting, and then eventually if I upgrade the trans I could turn it up?

#14 ·
no it wouldnt be dumb at all, that is actually a great idea. id definately try to buy a used one for around $500 instead of paying $1000 for a new one. I can say that the first tune on the ppe is very calm and streetable, but still very fast.

#15 ·
It is a great way to go. I will give you a great deal on my ppe tuner pm me if your interested let me know

#16 ·
PPE for sure, run the small tune, like the 90 max. I limped my trans on the 130. Thats at the flywheel too, but compared to a edge 120 at the rwhp, the 130 PPE at the flywheel will walk all over it. I tried a edge, then pred, then PPE. PPE is the only one to limp my trans. Definately has more power then the other 2 and worked much better on my LLY!! Go PPE and get it over with, I have been here before haha

#17 ·
I'd keep whatever your running under 50 rwhp if you don't want any more modifications down the road (ie Tranny being #1......1093 problems being #2) !! JMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.