Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brothers and i bought our dad this 55 chevy pickup for his 50th birthday...he was born in 55...told him at least he looked better than a truck made the same year he was...we are planing on doing a frame off restore when we have the time and space open up...got it for 400 bucks...3600 miles on it...came with the origanal title...was used as a tow truck so it has a pto and is a 3600...origanal radiator in good shape

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
i'm gonna tell my 3 1/2 year old what you guys did for your dad. i was born in 59 always wanted a vette that year. saw a few at the last car show gave me the bug again. years ago i bought a 55 1/2 ton in pieces from a friend of mine. this guy tore it into pieces threw it into cardboard boxes then let the dog wee on them for ten years. i hauled this all home rust had been dealt with on the cab rear corners the rest was rust free. i had it a good five years on the back burner had a buddies little brother that just had to have it. sold it to him. extra fenders front and rear , extra hoods , grills. i put an early nove subframe under it didn't like the steering box so close to the fire wall made the steering column to steep. good luck they are nice solid rigs .

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
You have your work cut out for you but will be worth it. It will make a nice family project. My old man had a 54, i beleive it was also the 3600, it had straight 17" rubber, 250 six"?", 4spd, stepside bed that was 9'2", corner cab windows. The truck was about 80% condition, no rust at all, few dents and in primer, new tires, all new brakes from pedal to wheels, converted back to 6-volts, rebuilt starter and generator, new exhaust, and new wood in the bed. I used to drive it to school on accasion, he sold it about 6 months before he passed away due to lack of funds. I was broke at the time too, he let it go for $500. He had also sold his #'s matching 67 mustang GT fastback that had been sitting since 76 in a barn. It had the 390, 4spd, no rust all options except air. I am still looking for this car, no luck yet. Good luck with the build, enjoy the moments, even when you argue.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I think it looks way cool as is. You would have to pay a ton of money to get that old school, authentic, look anywhere else. I think it would look awesome to update the drivetrain, suspension and brakes, throw on some new, but skinny, tires on the OE wheels and run her like she is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.