Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard rumors of a D/max six cylinder engine to be available in the chevrolet Suburban. Just wondering if this was a rumor or a fact. If anyone knows please reply. Thank you.

Todd.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Rumour. No one knows for sure until it happens.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
There has been rumors floating around about different types of D-max diesel engines in the Burb for 3 years or more. I have heard the 6.6 is coming to a Burb near you, But I will believe it when I see it.

With the Ford Excursion going away for ever, I don`t think GM will have any motive for something like this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I believe GM has made some D/A burbs for special purpose. I remember someone talking about NYC fire depts having a few. With all the business they lose to the Ford Excursion Powerstroke. A load of families want these type of trucks to pull RV's and they are limited on choices as it is. I also believe Ford has announced an end to these trucks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A couple facts that I know to be true..............

1)NYC fire dept. has never had any Dmax Suburbans........nor has anyone else.

2) At least 1 Dmax 'Burb was built for the purpose of testing. It was black with a tan interior, 2500 series, 2WD, and only had 2 front seats........the rest of the interior was full of test equipment and other stuff......rumor has it a gray one exists too.

3) The above mentioned 'burb had a 4L80E tranny and NOT an Allison.

This info was obtained by a faimly member who works for G.M. and has personally witnessed the majority of Dmax developments in the last 3 years................and takes pride in bustin' my chops about stuff he sees and I don't.

Tom

·
Registered
94 Posts
RATDOC said:
A couple facts that I know to be true..............

1)NYC fire dept. has never had any Dmax Suburbans........nor has anyone else.

2) At least 1 Dmax 'Burb was built for the purpose of testing. It was black with a tan interior, 2500 series, 2WD, and only had 2 front seats........the rest of the interior was full of test equipment and other stuff......rumor has it a gray one exists too.

3) The above mentioned 'burb had a 4L80E tranny and NOT an Allison.

This info was obtained by a faimly member who works for G.M. and has personally witnessed the majority of Dmax developments in the last 3 years................and takes pride in bustin' my chops about stuff he sees and I don't.

Tom

I can collaborate Tom's story with a conversation I had with a GM commercial vehicle executive at SEMA last November.

1) Allison won't fit, so 4L80E is all you'll see in the sub's

2) DMAX will likely be detuned as a result of the tranny limitations

3) 2008 intro at the earliest.

4) Vans will get the Dmax in 2005, also with 4L80E

·
Registered
187 Posts
I thought Furd had changed its mind and was going to keep the excersion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
GM has put the V6 on the back burner at this time!

Now, as I have seen on some GM info, they are planing to have the 6.6 in the van in '06!!??

·
Registered
349 Posts
Boy, you guys are worse than my wife. She can't wait to prove me wrong either!

·
Registered
94 Posts
cmadmaxman said:
GM has put the V6 on the back burner at this time!

Now, as I have seen on some GM info, they are planing to have the 6.6 in the van in '06!!??

In order to compete with furd's econoline 6.0 PSD which is available now.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The death of the Excursion has been put off until an extended Expedition comes out and the Super Duties are redone in a few years. The tooling is bought and paid for and they have the production capacity.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The latest car mag I was reading said the Excursion would no longer be put out to pasture in the near future. As WillowCreekStable said, the tooling is paid for. Ford also said the extended Expedition wouldn't be competing or take the place of the Excursion.

Although I know they appeal to a small market, I don't understand why they don't sell more Excursions. I would think many more Suburban sales would be stolen by the rig, because it has the available turbo diesel.

On a different note, has anyone considered the mileage improvement that a Duramax would bring to the Sub. That would sure quiet down the enviromentalists if you could get a Sub. that would get 21+ mpg like our trucks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hear all Dodge vans will be re-badged Sprinters with a 5cyl Mercedes.I wish Dodge would start making a Ramcharger again in 3/4 ton with a Cummins.Would be nice to see that proto-type Jeep with the 600 Cummins go into production too.Rumors of a 4500/5500 Ram in 05 too,maybe with a Merc. diesel.Just some rumblings from the DODGE GUY
...Doug

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ford is having a V6 diesel developed for their 150s and possibly the Explorers. GM has said the 6 cyl is indefinitely on back burner. I think once Ford goes into production GM will have to get on the wagon quickly or be lost in Ford's dust!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
bowtiebob said:
The latest car mag I was reading said the Excursion would no longer be put out to pasture in the near future. As WillowCreekStable said, the tooling is paid for. Ford also said the extended Expedition wouldn't be competing or take the place of the Excursion.

Although I know they appeal to a small market, I don't understand why they don't sell more Excursions. I would think many more Suburban sales would be stolen by the rig, because it has the available turbo diesel.

On a different note, has anyone considered the mileage improvement that a Duramax would bring to the Sub. That would sure quiet down the enviromentalists if you could get a Sub. that would get 21+ mpg like our trucks.

There'd be a suburban sitting in my driveway today where the 2500HD is sitting if they had a diesel in the 'burb. I look hard at the Excursion, but was worried about the problems Ford was having with the 6.0 and heard some other problems with the Excursion sooo 2500 HD it was. Edited by: srode

1 - 15 of 15 Posts