Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of trading the D/MAX for a good used 6.0 as I only pull the 5'er 10 times a summer and all short (less than 200 miles) trips. The rest of the time the rig sets or goes for short trips around town or a couple of hunting trips. Will have the snow plow on in the winter. My 5'er is a big one 12'000#. Any thoughts on this and can I upgrade the 6.0 like the D/MAX???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well you better have a large wallet for gas because you will be filling up alot. with my 6.0 i average 10 mpg. while towing about 8 maybe. I JUST GOT AN LBZ DURAMAX AND IM GETTING 14 FOR NOW.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ok question why downgrade to a 6.0. The duramax is perfect for what you do why change?? Im sure you can upgrade the 6.0 some but you will never ba able to upgradeit as easily and efficiently as a duramax.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it just seems that I have much more pick up than I need for 9 months out of the year, and most of the time the D/MAX never even get up to operating temps on the short trips, and it is louder.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I can tell you right now.. I've had two 2500HD's, one was the 6.0 and I traded it for my Dmax now.

the 6.0 was literally killing me on gas. the red flag that made me sell it is when my gas card bill got to be the same price as my actual truck payment. don't get me wrong, the 6.0 is a nice strong motor, but its only a 4 speed and it drinks gas like crazy.

I make lots of short trips in my Dmax and during the week just like you it never even reaches operating temps, but when friends call and need me to haul their broken down car home for them I can do it with ease.

Believe me..you have the better truck and not to mention it will last years past a 6.0.

$.02

·
Registered
429 Posts
Keep the DMAX!

'04 DMAX CC/SB 4WD - 17MPG unloaded

-15MPG towing 5k

'03 6.0 RC/LB 2WD - 15MPG Unloaded

-09MPG Towing 5k

Stick with the DMAX!:exactly:

·
Registered
110 Posts
No contest!
I have the 6.0L and tow about 10% of the time, well i have to stop and get gas about every 220 miles. It sucks. Not to mention the cost of $450.00 per month.

·
Registered
701 Posts
With current diesel vs. gas prices I don't really get the diesel fuel savings arguement . Yes you can go futher between fillups, but bottom line is your not saving much $$. Especially when you look at the big picture and cosider you probably dropped $40+K on the purchase.

You buy a D-max because you need (or want) the pulling power. That is what you have to ask yourself. 12,000lbs is a lot of weight for any gas motor.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dmax no question

Just sold my 6.0, great truck but ditto on all the other posts here. My first tank of fuel on the d-max I went 430 miles and still was not empty. This was around town driving and putting my foot in it! The other huge advantage is the torque.:eek:

-LBZFAN:pimp:

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
If you do not use a diesel for at least 20k a year, it will probably never pay for the additional expense of the initial purchase.

The 6.0 will NEVER get near the towing mileage of the Dmax, but you can certainly ramp up the HP to big levels by supercharging.

The 6.0 is a good motor, but the Dmax is better. Your only question is: Is the "better" engine worth the price. That is something you can only decide. For your usage, the 6.0 is more cost-effective.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Don't forget the resale value of a Diesel is generally higher then a gas truck. So you really only nead to justify the difference a diesel costs you compared to gas based on initial purchase price minus resale value. Unless of course you are keeping it forever.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you do not use a diesel for at least 20k a year, it will probably never pay for the additional expense of the initial purchase.

The 6.0 will NEVER get near the towing mileage of the Dmax, but you can certainly ramp up the HP to big levels by supercharging.

The 6.0 is a good motor, but the Dmax is better. Your only question is: Is the "better" engine worth the price. That is something you can only decide. For your usage, the 6.0 is more cost-effective.

Yeah I agree.

I had to make this decision recently... and went with the 6.0. Non towing mileage isnt that much different (I'm getting 13.5mpg average mostly around town in my 6.0) its only when you stick a trailer behind the 6.0 that the mileage really drops. I tow maybe 5 or 6 times a year, so it just wasnt enough to justify the extra 6 grand (not to mention more expensive maintenance and higher fuel price) for the dmax.

If I towed bigger loads or more often, I'd have a Dmax in the driveway right now, but for a daily driver/family vacation vehicle the 6.0 is a much better choice for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kinda what I was thinking, does the tranny in the 6.0 hold up??

·
Registered
318 Posts
Kinda what I was thinking, does the tranny in the 6.0 hold up??

The 5 speed (NV4500) is one of the toughest trannys ever put in a pickup and will outlast the truck... I cant speak for the auto.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
The 6.0 auto will support STOCK HP just fine. Put a supercharger on it, and you'll be in the same boat as the bombed Dmaxes. This is true for all automatics that I'm aware of. The clutches are designed for optimum performance at stock HP levels. Double it? BOOM!

Here's the rub. I can run 13.1 in a HUGE ass 4x4 pickup M-F, then tow heavy on the weekends and get great mileage. You cannot do that with a 6.0.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big LS1 fan. It's just that for towing AND hotrodding, the Dmax is the superior platform. If you do not want hotrod, and don't tow lots of miles, the 6.0 will save you $$$.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep the Dmax

I've had 2 6.0's, and once I got a DMax, I'd never go back. There's no comparison.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You can buy a lot of gas for the increased price of a dmax, dont think you will ever come ahead. think of the increased maintenance costs and if you have a dmax after warranty, and you have an engine problem or injectors it will be major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. your call.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
A stock diesel engine will out last a stock gas engine about 2:1 or better.

If you keep a diesel long enough, it will always pay for itself. While the additional costs of fuel filters increases the maintenance costs for diesel, you can buy alot filters for the cost of an engine.

However, most people keep a vehicle less than 10 years.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
This is my second gasser in an HD in 4 years. Although I am a diesel fan and will end up with one eventually, I have to say that my 6.0 has never let me down. I plow snow but do not tow. My mileage is about 11-12 around town with 8 miles to work each way. For me, it has been gas and go with an oil change here and there. But honestly, if you already have a DMAX, I would keep it. You have already passed the hurdle of buying it, and you have 4 years of fuel savings already.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts