Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many own the D/A combo with a 2 wheel drive?

I am curious about your decision to go with a 2 by and if you have any regrets.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
<DIV>I have a 2WD. I have almost no regrets. I don't have a great need for off-road capability and it is just plain easier to work with at the lower ride height. I never needed anything more than the 2WD living in Denver or Chicago either, I forged through plenty of snow with no trouble.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Less complexity, less maintenance, and probably cheaper insurance has always been a plus. I guess I only regret not having the 4WD at the track for those good launches and low 60' times but that does not factor in for most folks.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I see very few other 2WD HD's on the road though.</DIV>

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have 2003 3500 D/A C.C. 2WD and have had no problems as yet.The reason I went with 2WD was the weight difference in towing capabilities. I realize it isn't a lot, But when you are towing a 30 ft 5th wheel camper at about 10,500 lbs with a pin weight of 2100lbs and load up with fire wood and everything else needed for a good camping weekend it can add up quick.

I also realize I am no where close to the max for this truck but, Who knows what my next 5th wheel will be.

As far as not having 4x4, There may be a time when I wished I had it but for the extra expense of 4x4, I can pay for a lot of tows if I need one, which I have never needed. I have alway's had 2 wheel drive

I guess it depend's on what you plan to do with your truck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BMDMAX,

I looked at your web page. WOW.... Those are some serious numbers.

Do you run at the track near Byron, GA?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had no regrets with my 2wd. With the locking differential, it has done a very good job of keeping me going in poor traction conditions. When I purchased the truck, I knew how much I could afford to spend, and it was either the Duramax or 4wd, but not both. When I replaced the tires recently, I did go with a much more aggresive tread pattern than the OEM Firestones and it has been great so far this winter.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mine is a 2wd Asphalt Queen, no regrets here.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yep, that's the track at Reynolds, GA near Byron. The always get a kick out of the Silverado running and they are a nice group of folks there.

I usually post something when I am going to be running there to see if I can scare up some guys that want to run their trucks too. Let me know if you are interested and maybe we can get a group to make some smoke!

·
Registered
432 Posts
2 WD is fine by me....2001 EX/SB, no plans to go off roading or run it on the beach or slide down a snowbank......am I missing any fun???? LOL ha ha ha

Didn't see any need for 4 WD, but understand re-sale is higher as more demand for 4 WD used.

My son does a lot of snowmobiling and has 4WD on his D&^%$.......it does real well in the snow when I drove it, but ice is ice and makes no difference, in snow works great. If I was into that type of adventures I would surely get the 4WD.

Enjoy what you have and don't look back

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine is 2wd, and like others, it was mostly a choice made by costs of purchase, insurance, and maintenance. But I tell you what, I learned real quick to keep that nose heavy sucker off wet grass where the only way out is uphill!!!!!!!

Long Biker & MDMAX, I see you are both in GA, and MDMAX is less than 30 mi from me . Some of us are talking over on the off topic forum titled "Georgia Boys". Come and join us, we may be able to get up a meeting!

·
Registered
302 Posts
My dad and I both have 2wd extended cab long beds duramaxes. He has no regrets what so ever. Actually I don't think he has ever owned a 4wd vehicle (except his IH Scout). My previous 3 trucks were all 4wd and I hardly ever used it. But since I have had this truck, I could have used 4ws at least 4 times. 1.) Getting stuck at Lowes Motor Speedway with the 5'ver in tow getting out of the camping spot. 2.) Hauling a load of brick fill for my barn in my dump trailer and not being able to pull the trailer back over the edge of the fill (ruined a tire there.) 3.) Helping to persuade a tree down in my backyard whent he yard was a little too wet. 4.) Same as #2, but with fill dirt and no ruined tire.

Since getting the Duramax, I have bought a house. This had changed how I originally bought the truck for (mainly hauling the 5'ver on pavement.) If I had to do it over, 4wd.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Money and my wife said it keep me from driving the truck where it doesn't belong (jeep trails).
I have been stuck twice. Once at the fireworks stand in the ditch after 2 days of rain. The last time was at my sister's house. Had to park in the grass (actually more mud than grass) and got stuck. This time I did not have to be towed out. I rocked the truck forwards and backwards, then finally got pissed, turned up the juice, and floorboarded it. I came out pretty quick. Wife said I had 50 ft. rooster tails of mud. Next set of tires will be an aggressive all terrain tread.

·
Registered
288 Posts
ALWAYS HAD 2WD, IF YOU PLAY IN THE BOONES THEN 4WD IS GREAT. I JUST GOT 2500HD CC D/A 2WD. ALSO 2WD SEEMS TO RIDE A LITTLE BETTER. I'M AN OLD MAN AND LOWER HIEGHT IS GOOD FOR THE OLD BONES. STILL HAVE TO PUT STEP BARS ON MONDAY.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Money based decision. 2wd kept it under $40K.

My first 2 wd in over 10 yrs. For our 1 snow a year, I put a 55 gallon drum full of water on the back and go where ever I need to go. I won't hardly drive on a dirt road for fear of gettting it dirty, so I don't really need 4wd. But on the other hand, if I win the lottery and buy another where money is no object, I'll probably get 4wd just in case.

Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is 2wd, if I need 4wd I will just use my jeep or 4wd Kubota tractor. Have not been stuck in any of them "yet"

·
Registered
341 Posts
Almost all of my old GMC trucks ('60 to '62) are 2wd & I never had problems out on the farm - but with my Crew cab long box, I got 4wd (& am glad I did, as it's so heavy), it's a tank in the mud at times. But if I lived in a more "asphalted" area, 2wd would be just fine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
2wd CCLB. Never have gone off pavewment and never plan on it. Bought it to haul the family and the racecar trailer.

No regrets

1 - 16 of 16 Posts