Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 2500HD with a torn outer CV boot. Dealer said I needed to replace both axle/CV/boots both sides. Can you purchase just the boots? Is this a dificult task and once it is torn, you really don't know how much stuff gets in. They also said I may need to replace wheel bearings or hub bearings. How long should these things last?
Where is a good place to get boots or the whole assembly?
Has anyone seen any R&R instructions or photos on this forum?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
At work we bought a boot kit from the dealer. (Large boot) You have to have a special tool to use it. (Its not a normal band.) Not a tool you can get just anywhere. We ended up getting a band from Napa, and tools. I actually believe you are better off just getting rebuilt axles. Just make sure they are not Chinese.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How much are you paying for the boots? there is a parts store around my area that have the whole new cv shaft ready for you to install for around $60. It takes me about an hour (give or take) to put a new shaft in. They have been holding up very well to the power i have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DMAX500, my dealer wanted almost $80 for a boot and $656 for complete axle kit per side. Sounds like it's not a major project and for those cost a replacement axle kit is a good way to go. Do you know what the brand is?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Daddy why are they telling you to replace both sides if only one side is ripped also why all the other stuff the wheel bearings go between 100 and 150 thousand your stealer is sending up red flags to me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess is, if one side is bad might as well do both? I have 115,000 miles on it, so maybe wheel bearings are something else it will need while i'm in there. One mechanic told me the wheel bearings were about $250 each.
Thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You can replace the boot only if that is all that is wrong, I did both my outers this spring, boot was somewhere between 20 and 30 bucks or so, don't remember exactly, comes with bands and a tube of grease.

You also need a special crimping tool for the band, I think they cost about 18 bucks, all this at NAPA.

Bit of stuff to take apart ot get to it, but is no different whether you change the axle or remove to replace the boot. My truck is older, but I had to separate the tie rods and remove the sway bar to get the axle out. Newer trucks may be different, but I think the IFS are similar.

You will need instructions to change the boot, a CV joint is like a puzzle, and must be dissembled and reassembled in a specific order, nothing scary about it, but I doubt it is something I would have ever figured out on my own.

I used a Haynes manual, has pictures and description of how it comes apart, but I'm sure a google search would also provide all sorts of instructions and pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I called NAPA and a rebuilt axle is like $60. Then I found a place that can get new not rebuilt axles for $125 and install for $85. I'm going to just have them do it. I'll spend way more than an hour messing with it getting the new part, taking back the core, etc. I'll just have a beer and let a professional deal with it this time.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
be prepared if you decide to change your front wheel unit bearings...they average about $600 each.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts