Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read of folks here "cutting" open their fuel filters when they change them to see how dirty the are. I will be changing mine in a few weeks and would like to do this as well. where do you cut them and what do u cut them with? is there a special tool needed? -thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use a Die grinder and cutoff wheel. Throws some sparks but I haven't set a filter on fire yet. Knock on wood. You make the cut about 3/8" from the top of the filter. One of the tool company's, Mac I think has a strap wheel cutter for exhaust systems that would work also. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i've read of folks here "cutting" open their fuel filters when they change them to see how dirty the are. I will be changing mine in a few weeks and would like to do this as well. where do you cut them and what do u cut them with? is there a special tool needed? -thanks
I've used a dremel with a cutoff wheel as well as a Roto Zip tool with a cutoff wheel.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hacksaw and a good grip

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a filter cutter, can get them from summit, jegs, or caterpillar. It's a little more expensive, but it makes a clean cut, and you don't get metal shavings inside the filter.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
sawz-all and a vise-takes about 10 seconds!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
The exhaust cutter(vice grip looking thing with a chain attached with a bunch of little cutting wheels) or a filter cutter or pip cutter will work well and not leave trash in the filter. Otherwise you will need to remember the shavings and grit may be becasue of the cutting process.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
I use a tailpipe cutter from Snap-On. It's kinda like a chain w/ cutting wheels. Like a copper tubing cutter, round and round.......

·
Registered
368 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts