Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting ready to build my own single stack how on earth did you guys cut through your bed. i bought a 6" hole saw from home depot it is a bimetal saw but didn't touch it! how did you guys get through!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I used the exhaust pipe as a template for a plasma cutter. Had a hole in seconds. A hole saw will work fine, but don't spin the @#$% out of it, it will over heat and fry the saw. You should only be spinning the saw at about 75 rpm's. Make sure you use something to act as a coolant and a lubricant, WD40 works fine.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I used a small air saw for mine...worked great.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OneTALLGMC96;1571984; said:
I used a small air saw for mine...worked great.
cool thanks alot, i love your set up that is what i based mine off of. also how did you clamp yours to the bed?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I used a 6" chrome exhaust clamp made for a Kenworth. I made a piece of angle iron to attach to the front of the bed and bolted the exhaust clamp to the steel bracket.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Truck chrome shops have A LOT of usefull pieces; you'd be amazed at some of the odd clamps and brackets they have. When I put my stacks together, I found a truckstop about half an hour from my house had all the EXACT pieces I wanted; I couldn't find anything remotely usefull at any autoparts store.

·
Registered
348 Posts
OneTALLGMC96;1572020; said:
I used a 6" chrome exhaust clamp made for a Kenworth. I made a piece of angle iron to attach to the front of the bed and bolted the exhaust clamp to the steel bracket.
This is also what I did.... I used a couple of rubber bushings that I had around... I think they were originally used for sway bars or something.. I put them between the clamp and the angle iron, just to maybe take a little bit of the shock.

I used a sawzall to get most of the hole out, then went with a rotary file on my air grinder to finish it off(there are probably better ways to do it, but these were the tools I had)

later, TW

·
Registered
722 Posts
my self i also used the ol plasma cuter. then clened up the edges with a sanding disk on my grinder tuched it up with a little black paint then lined the edges of the hole with some vacume line i split down the middle kinda like window lace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.