Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used an exhaust cutout on a diesel? Its going to be a while before I get an aftermarket exhaust so I was wondering if I could use a 3 1/2" exhaust cutout before the muffler while I am at the track to give me the straight pipe effect and seal it back up afterwards. Anyone see any problems with doing this besides getting a little soot under the truck. Thanks

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I don't believe there will be any great differance not to mention assuming your going to do the cut out with stock exhaust due to the cat ....

A 4" system with free flow muffler would be just as benificial IMO ...

You could always unbolt at the flange ....

Mac

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a cat , '04 LB7. I am going to do an exhaust system just not right now. The cutout is just an idea until I do so. Edited by: Carbon04

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have thought about doing the same also. Would be able to make just as much power as an exhaust system.. well it does on gasoline powered cars (i mean it makes more power then it does through exhaust).

·
Registered
393 Posts
yeah man, it would be all sleeper like, imagine pullin up to the light, everyone is catagorizing diesel power now by the infamous 5"tip, right? guy see's nothin but a stock lookin truck even exhaust, then bang it comes to life as the dump's open, it would make for allot of upsets!!!!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
It'll make one helluva mess of EVERYTHING under the truck for sure...

·
Registered
795 Posts
I considerd a cutout early on, but added a flowmaster to the stock exaust instead.

I never found anyone that claimed an improvement in track times with the added 4" exaust. Maybe with 500- hp numbers.

I have seen claims of lower EGT readings of course.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea I got to thinking about what kind of mess it would make under the truck (since I'm a neat freak with my stuff) so I went out tonight and bought the MBRP 4" stainless exhaust system. I figured its only money.......its either now or later and I opted for now.

www.mbrp.comEdited by: Carbon04

1 - 10 of 10 Posts